Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

Yes Bill it is - quote -  "a bright and breezy 32 bar tune dedicated to his (Frank's) dear friend and great tenor saxophonist Osian Roberts." 

Thanks John. I had a nice chat with Osian at the home of my friend Malcolm who hosts gigs and we compared notes on our early origins. (Sadly I'm now resigned to accepting those face-to-face sessions as a thing of the past :() Osian is a tenorman much to my taste, and I think yours. He can be heard to advantage on a number of albums he's made with Steve Fishwick, this probably being the most well known:

with-cedar-cover-small.jpg

I recall seeing Basile heading up a reconstituted Slide Hampton Octet on a Smalls ‘livestream’ a while back. Impressive !

4 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

Yes Bill it is - quote -  "a bright and breezy 32 bar tune dedicated to his (Frank's) dear friend and great tenor saxophonist Osian Roberts." 

Now:

NEIL SWAINSON QUINTET - 49th Parallel

An excellent reissue - I picked up the vinyl. Good sleeve notes by all concerned too.

10 hours ago, HutchFan said:

This again:

51YJ3QWMPWL.jpg

Fantastic!  :tup  

Maybe I should give this another try. I spinned it once but didn´t like it, especially the first tune. 

The strange Thing is, that I am familiar with a lot of 60´s Avantgarde stuff and listen to Ornette Coleman, Don Cherry, Cecil Taylor, but Maybe from Larry Young I expected something else, something more like the Albums he made before for BN. (Unity)

59 minutes ago, EKE BBB said:

R-1294353-1446487913-1971.jpeg.jpg

I love this !

I first had it on the Brown Paperback doublealbum from the BN LA series, it was Griffin´s Blowin Session on the first LP, and the "Blowin In from Chicago on the second LP. The whole double Album was titled "Blowing Sessions".

When I listen to the CD, I still use to listen to it together with Griffin´s "A Blowing Session". 

The Tenor Tandem Jordan-Gilmore is fantastic and the rhyhthm section really Cooks, those are some of the best Players of the period. And the almost forgotten Horace Silver compositon "Everywhere" is Beautiful....