Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Black/Blue frame means a cdr from my experience.

8 hours ago, Quasimado said:

Right! My Warne Marsh "An Unsung Cat" on Storyville purchased a few years ago came as a cdr with that black/ blue frame (and no liner). What's the story there?

Oof.  I now see a separate listing without that border with listings from third-party sellers. I'm giving it another spin now.  Amazon tells me that I purchased it nearly 13 years ago.  It's crazy to think how many concerts (hundreds) and albums (~2000?) have come along since then, but it still holds up.  It's fortunate that their brief collaboration was captured on tape in such fine sound.

51CTcJ33uqL._SY400_.jpg

Today I spun three Eddie Lockjaw Davis cds I received from our forum mate here, Michael.

MI0002235604.jpg?partner=allrovi.com
First was an MPS cd of the Eddie Lockjaw Davis/Johnny Griffin Quintet "Tough Tenors."  Lockjaw really shines here, sparred on by Griff who shares both his joie de vivre attitude and his joie de jouer energy.

Then it was on to the Steeplechase cd "All of Me" by Eddie Lockjaw Davis. Kenny Drew is fantastic on this one. The arrangements are quite nice. The Danish drummer is exciting as well.
MI0001914899.jpg?partner=allrovi.com
Then on to a Prestige twofer cd, "Streetlights." Lockjaw shows his mastery here of swing, soul, and imagination. I hung on his every phrase, there's so much skill and wit and groove in his lines and notes. And the secret sauce on these tracks is George Duvivier. His ever fingering is both precise and moving. He has clandestine control of the whole band. It's too bad that he is just a tad lower in the balance here than I'd like.
39770079.jpg

After this I needed to cool down a bit! A good choice for that was Diana Panton "To Brazil with Love". . . this is a very nice cd, Panton's voice reminds me of Blossom Dearie and Karrin Allyson, and her timing is impeccable. And she can evoke emotion with no melodrama at all. 
aec.imt10599790.2_0.jpg
Edited by jazzbo

6 minutes ago, jazzbo said:
Today I spun three Eddie Lockjaw Davis cds I received from our forum mate here, Michael.

MI0002235604.jpg?partner=allrovi.com
First was an MPS cd of the Eddie Lockjaw Davis/Johnny Griffin Quintet "Tough Tenors."  Lockjaw really shines here, sparred on by Griff who shares both his joie de vivre attitude and his joie de jouer energy.

Then it was on to the Storyville cd "All of Me" by Eddie Lockjaw Davis. Kenny Drew is fantastic on this one. The arrangements are quite nice. The Danish drummer is exciting as well.
MI0001914899.jpg?partner=allrovi.com
Then on to a Prestige twofer cd, "Streetlights." Lockjaw shows his mastery here of swing, soul, and imagination. I hung on his every phrase, there's so much skill and wit and groove in his lines and notes. And the secret sauce on these tracks is George Duvivier. His ever fingering is both precise and moving. He has clandestine control of the whole band. It's too bad that he is just a tad lower in the balance here than I'd like.
39770079.jpg

After this I needed to cool down a bit! A good choice for that was Donna Panton "To Brazil with Love". . . this is a very nice cd, Panton's voice reminds me of Blossom Dearie and Karrin Allyson, and her timing is impeccable. And she can evoke emotion with no melodrama at all. 
aec.imt10599790.2_0.jpg

And she'd be welcome anytime in Sexiest Album Covers. :)

I do agree that Steeplechase (not Storyville) with Kenny Drew is great.