Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I like this one a lot. Andrew Cyrille's leader dates as a whole are underrated, I think, but particularly this one. The younger and slightly more pushy David S Ware works well on this album.  

Yessir.  Good stuff!  The preceding record with the same group, Metamusicians' Stomp, is top shelf too.  :)

5 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Now on to Music from the Source by Cecil McBee (Enja, 1978).

Such a great album. One of Chico Freeman's strongest performances, which plays to his strengths at the time. The Steve McCall / Don Moye percussion section works so well, too. There's lots of moments of exciting group interplay all round. 

With thanks to Hutchfan for reminding me to put this one on.

R-2012934-1362782480-6393.jpeg.jpg

:tup:tup:tup 

71eYXWCABKL._SS500_.jpg

John Patton - Memphis to New York Spirit (Blue Note, rec. 1969/70)

I sure do wish Patton would've had an opportunity to continue making records into the 1970s.  Everything from That Certain Feeling up to this one: They all have something -- hard to put a finger on it -- that's somehow unexpected, definitely not pro-forma.  They're even a little "off."  And I mean that in the best possible way. 

Marvin Cabell's and Blood Ulmer's contributions are certainly part of the equation.  But Patton was charting the course and steering the ship, no? 

R-9654255-1484270712-1469.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Tito-Puente-Hong-Kong-Mambo-The-Very-Best-Of-Tito-Puente/release/9654255

Acutally a reissue of Dance Mania with two outtakes added, one of which was never issued anywhere else. 

I just compared eight different reissues of Dance Mania's opening track, El Cayuco - they all sound slightly different, although most were remastered by Dick Baxter.