So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

R-7048482-1432503020-1100.jpeg.jpg

I'm enjoying this marvelous album, in which there's also his brother, Claude at piano, plus Max Bennet or Leroy Vinnegar and Stan Levey or Mel Lewis. And as I love west coast jazz, this is heaven. And Charlie Mariano, whom I forgot the first time around.

Edited by Bluesnik

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, John Tapscott said:

R-4773353-1375065232-6158.jpeg.jpg

I saw Jiggs Whigham once locally.  He had with him a plastic trombone and a rep from the company was in attendance.  I'll always remember the look on the rep's face when Jiggs threw the trombone to him (twice!).  It was a combined look of horror, annoyance and relief (when he caught it).  Jiggs sounded great on plastic and brass trombone and seemed like a fun guy.

MIKE MELITO / DINO LOSITO QUARTET - You're It!

A very enjoyable recording. 

11 hours ago, Justin V said:

I saw Jiggs Whigham once locally.  He had with him a plastic trombone and a rep from the company was in attendance.  I'll always remember the look on the rep's face when Jiggs threw the trombone to him (twice!).  It was a combined look of horror, annoyance and relief (when he caught it).  Jiggs sounded great on plastic and brass trombone and seemed like a fun guy.

Yes. Jiggs is an outstanding player.  On this CD, he stands out to me as the most interesting and creative soloist, even among this heavyweight crew. 

Edited by John Tapscott

Betty Carter "The Music Never Stops" 

51Q4N06oVfL._SX342_QL70_.jpg

CS728020-01B-BIG.jpg

Bad-ass Betty singing in several configurations and delivering!

Personnel: 
Small Group Geri Allen – piano Cyrus Chestnut – piano Ariel Roland – bass Greg Hutchinson – drums Clarence Penn – drums 

The Big Band - Jerry Dodgion – alto saxophone Rick Wald – alto saxophone Alex Foster – tenor saxophone Lou Marini – tenor saxophone Joe Temperley – baritone saxophone Art Baron – trombone Robin Eubanks – trombone Joe Randazzo – trombone Lew Soloff – trumpet Earl Gardner – trumpet Ron Tooley – trumpet Kamau Adilifu – trumpet John Hicks – piano Lisle Atkinson – bass Kenny Washington – drums 

The Strings - Jeanne LeBlanc – cello Akua Dixon – cello Julie Green – cello Bruce Wang – cello John Beal – bass Dave Finck – bass