• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51CImrv-7vL.jpg

1 hour ago, duaneiac said:

R-12666760-1539652202-4071.jpeg.jpg

R-12666760-1539652208-9827.jpeg.jpg

I just got this one and I can give it a hearty :tup!  The disc/program opens with a 9 minute Duke Ellington solo piano version of "New World A-Comin'"!  I was completely satisfied with my purchase after that one track -- money well spent!  The program is sort of a modified Sacred Concert, with "In The Beginning God" as its centerpiece, but then there is the inclusion of the always fascinating "La Plus Belle Africaine" as an encore.  To top it all off, "Come Easter" was a new number written for this concert, played here and then never again, so if you absolutely HAVE to hear everything Ellington ever wrote, here's one more for ya (psssst - - it's not that memorable).  Good solo spots throughout the concert for Gonsalves, Hodges, Carney, Brown and others and the sound is perfectly fine for a vintage live recording.  I found this music "inspiring" and believe me brother, given all that 2020 has thrown at us, that was a rare and welcome treat indeed.

Thanks for the heads-up, duaneiac. 👍

Adding this to my list.

11 hours ago, duaneiac said:

R-12666760-1539652202-4071.jpeg.jpg

R-12666760-1539652208-9827.jpeg.jpg

I just got this one and I can give it a hearty :tup!  The disc/program opens with a 9 minute Duke Ellington solo piano version of "New World A-Comin'"!  I was completely satisfied with my purchase after that one track -- money well spent!  The program is sort of a modified Sacred Concert, with "In The Beginning God" as its centerpiece, but then there is the inclusion of the always fascinating "La Plus Belle Africaine" as an encore.  To top it all off, "Come Easter" was a new number written for this concert, played here and then never again, so if you absolutely HAVE to hear everything Ellington ever wrote, here's one more for ya (psssst - - it's not that memorable).  Good solo spots throughout the concert for Gonsalves, Hodges, Carney, Brown and others and the sound is perfectly fine for a vintage live recording.  I found this music "inspiring" and believe me brother, given all that 2020 has thrown at us, that was a rare and welcome treat indeed.

I've never been to Coventry so I can't claim to have been at that performance, though I did see the Ellington band in Leicester, Leeds and Manchester in that era.  ^_^

Edited by BillF

13 hours ago, BillF said:

I've never been to Coventry so I can't claim to have been at that performance, though I did see the Ellington band in Leicester, Leeds and Manchester in that era.  ^_^

I’ve even seen some jazz in Coventry :) (well, Warwick Arts Centre - close enough). No sign of Lady Godiva.

Edited by sidewinder