• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today I´m in a mood for some fine organ by Jimmy Smith. I decided to go all the way back to his first to BN albums.

It´s interesting that on BLP 1512 they still had to work a little to get the right sound for the organ . On BLP 1514 the sound is better. 

Great tunes, some are really incredible virtuosity like "Lady be Good" (actually the bop line Rifftide), and Dizzy´s "The Champ". Not to forget the groovy medium tempo tunes and the fine ballads.....

images (1).jpg

Download (3).jpg

13 hours ago, duaneiac said:

8436563180637.jpg?v=4

Disc 2 of 2.

this inspired me to listen to Jimmy Smith today

49 minutes ago, BillF said:

R-4667612-1371633287-6809.jpeg.jpg

Dig the ‘window boxes’..:D

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

R-7055727-1432664309-3528.jpeg.jpg

Loved these performances since they saw release as Mole Jazz vinyl .... and always will ....

I will always regret the fact that I missed that gig, although I did see his appearance afterwards at RFH, which was memorable. Can’t recall why I missed it !

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

I will always regret the fact that I missed that gig, although I did see his appearance afterwards at RFH, which was memorable. Can’t recall why I missed it !

I recall Alan Barnes saying that as a student at Leeds College of Music he made the trip to Scott's to hear the master.

Perhaps that's why many years later he named an album The Art Trip.

Edited by BillF

3 minutes ago, BillF said:

I recall Alan Barnes saying that as a student at Leeds College of Music he made the trip to Scott's to hear the master.

Perhaps that's why many years later he named an album The Art Trip.

Interesting !

I only got to hear his solo rendition of ‘Over The Rainbow’ at that George Wein ‘Year of the Bird’ concert but it was memorable. The rest of the lineup - Gillespie, John Lewis, Freddie Hubbard, John Lewis, Lee Konitz, Slam Stewart, Roy Haynes, Curtis Fuller - and those are just the ones I remember !

Herbie Hancock "Speak Like a Child" 24 bit by RVG Japan Blue Note cd (sort of gatefold cover!)

R-395084-1328723461.jpeg.jpg

Just arrived in the mail within a lot of 12 24 bit by RVG cds I won via auction. More duplicates than I would like, but I did get titles I really wanted, this one included, at a good price. And will have four to add to the sell pile.

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Interesting !

I only got to hear his solo rendition of ‘Over The Rainbow’ at that George Wein ‘Year of the Bird’ concert but it was memorable. The rest of the lineup - Gillespie, John Lewis, Freddie Hubbard, John Lewis, Lee Konitz, Slam Stewart, Roy Haynes, Curtis Fuller - and those are just the ones I remember !

Wow! :excited:

55 minutes ago, BillF said:

Wow! :excited:

Forgot to mention the Brecker Brothers as well. Playing bebop !

I think James Moody was also on the bill. Possibly also Milt Jackson but not sure. There was also a UK rhythm section.

Updated - Just found the JJI review. No Milt and Moody but Clark Terry and Kai Winding were included (Kai duetting with Curtis). The UK rhythm section was John Critchinson, Ron Mathewson and Martin Drew i.e. the Ronnie’s house team of that time. 

The RFH venue was last minute. It was originally scheduled for Ally Pally, which burnt down a few days before !

Edited by sidewinder