So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

9 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

Disc 3 - Miles Davis, Sonny Stitt, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers, Jimmy Cobbiu-1.jpeg

Now that's one I missed - the Miles quintet with Stitt at the FreeTrade Hall, Manchester in 1960. I think it was during the university vacation and I was at home in Leeds. Fellow student (later jazz critic of the London Evening Standard) the late Jack Massarik told me he was there.

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lou Donaldson "Alligator Boogaloo" 24 bit by RVG Blue Note Japan cd

Alligator_Bogaloo.jpg

What a band! The leader is so soulful but never far from bebop, that adds a special layer to his work with organ trios in my book. 

Lou Donaldson - alto saxophone
Melvin Lastie - cornet
Lonnie Smith - organ
George Benson - guitar
Leo Morris (Idris Muhammad) - drums

Prompted by Tolliver talk elsewhere on the board:

R-3237832-1321805832.jpeg.jpg

Just now seeing that Pure Pleasure has reissued this -- as it was originally titled on Strata-East, Live at the Loosdrecht Jazz Festival.  It's a two-LP set.

Oh man, that is tempting!  ... I just might have to plop for that. 

... "After all, I only own an emusic.com download of it now," he begins rationalizing to himself.  :P 

Edited by HutchFan

I got an early start today, then got interrupted, and I'm back at it.

I started with Lee Morgan, "Lee Morgan Sextet" on Blue Note 24 bit by RVG Japan cd. Lee plays very well, with I suppose Horace Silver arranging and Hank Mobley . . . the playing and setting of both made me think of Monk. A few tracks are better than the others.

tmlm.jpg

Followed that one up with "Jams 2--The Two Tenors"--James Moody and Mark Turner, Warner Bros.

R-13989264-1565573818-9766.jpeg.jpg

At times reminding me of Griff 'n Lock, at times Marsh and Konitz, with a dash of Monkeloniousness added by Larry Goldings. 

Sometimes it seems as if I hear an echo of Monk in many recordings I choose. I wanted to get away from thinking of Monk and succeded with the great Pablo recording, "Dizzy Gillepsie's Big 4."

u0888072374966.jpg

Mickey Roker is the secret ingredient that makes the rise on a number of these Pablo "encounters." He is so controlled yet tastefully tailors the foundation. A master.