• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, sonnyhill said:

a0002342599_16.jpg

Charles Tolliver - Connect (Gearbox Records)

Charles Tolliver - trumpet
Jesse Davis - alto saxophone
Binker Golding - tenor saxophone (A2 + B2)
Keith Brown - piano
Buster Williams - double bass
Lenny White - drums

Playing the Tolliver LP myself tonight. The record is more vibrant than the CD.

LWayne

Also playing some Miles tonight.

418462498482%3A800.jpg

51cVv5BADzL.jpg

Archie Shepp - The Cry of My People (Impulse)

Owes as much to Gospel and Soul it does to jazz. But all genre concerns aside, what a POWERFUL statement. ... Right there with Max's Lift Every Voice and Sing, Billy Harper's Capra Black, Rahsaan's Prepare Thyself, and (so much!) Ellington. They spill over the borders, jazz that transcends jazz. ... Like Duke said, "Beyond category."

Edited by HutchFan

14 hours ago, BillF said:

I saw the Mel Lewis Orch at the Wigan Jazz Festival in 1989. Would that be on the same trip to Europe as the WDR album?

At that time when very often Jerry Van Royen was directing the WDR bigband this great orchestra had no current drummer and also no current leader. So everytime Mel had time and opportunity he flew over the pond or when he was en tour he occupied the drummer's chair. Mel once called the WDR big band "his second band".

Very often he teamed with Bill Holman when Bill played one of his greater works (suites) the first time always with the WDR big band. Bill was directing the band and Mel was the drummer at these occasions. They did first a studio version and then presented the same program in a public performance. These were the great 1980s times.

My good friend the late  Wolfgang Weis visited the rehearshals and took fotos there  by permission and has send me many of these collaborations on CD-r.  Unforgettable documents of the best in big band jazz.

Here are some examples

a) WDR big band dir. by Jiggs Wigham + Mel Lewis

b) WDR big band dir. by Bill Holman + Mel Lewis  on the drums

39785193zd.jpg

39785197jg.jpg

39785208nt.jpg

39785207ju.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner
typos

15 hours ago, jazzbo said:

teaser_9_.jpg

600x337_i1.jpg

Bass – Joe Martin 
Drums – Erick Harland
Guitar – Ricardo Grilli
Piano – Kevin Hays
Tenor Saxophone – Mark Turner

This one again. Followed by Johnny Griffin "Introducing Johnny Griffin" 24 bit by RVG Blue Note Japan cd.

https://img.discogs.com/JMVSJPbew86sI0heOjEn1THjxFo=/fit-in/300x300/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(40)/discogs-images/R-4903140-1378962356-2091.png.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

3 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

There is a MPS edition where it is paired with George Gruntz's "From Sticksland With Love" (GG Jazz Ensemble with the Basel Tambours and Pipers. Odd pairing! 

Indeed .... btw the "World Music" influence on some SABA/MPS productions came courtesy of Joachim-Ernst Berendt ....