Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

81Y7P0h0loL._SS500_.jpg

Sonny Rollins - Reel Life (Milestone/OJC, 1982)

Picked up this CD a few weeks ago, so I'm still getting to know it.  But I dig it. ... Of course, it's nowhere near Sonny's heaviest record, even from the Milestone years.  Plus there's that early-80's soundtrack-y sheen happening production-wise.  But still.  Sonny is Sonny. ... And when he launches into "McGhee."  Whoooooo!!!  LOOK OUT!!!

1 hour ago, Referentzhunter said:

great visuals here ! Don't know the music.

:tup  Very enjoyable music too. 

15 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

SF Jazz Collective "Wonder: the Music of Stevie Wonder"

A studio album (not a compilation from the live cds of the tour for this music by the Collective). Quite nice.

R-4450387-1365223916-4919.jpeg.jpg

Did they record this CD before or after touring?  Or was their tour perhaps curtailed by the pandemic?

I have a few of their CD sets (the first five and #7) and have seen them in SF a few times, the most recent being when they were performing the music of Jobim.  I still wish they would do "The Music of Bobby Hutcherson" one year.  He deserves that.

19 minutes ago, duaneiac said:

Did they record this CD before or after touring?  Or was their tour perhaps curtailed by the pandemic?

I have a few of their CD sets (the first five and #7) and have seen them in SF a few times, the most recent being when they were performing the music of Jobim.  I still wish they would do "The Music of Bobby Hutcherson" one year.  He deserves that.

Yes !!! ... That is OVER-due.  

;) 

21 minutes ago, duaneiac said:

This was recorded in the studio in 2012, after the 2011 tour. There's a new flood of copies of these sets lately on both amazon and Dusty Groove--the latter are cheaper when they have them. I have a few on the way that I think complete my collection. Yes, I'd love to see a Hutcherson tour planned and recorded.

39 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

This was recorded in the studio in 2012, after the 2011 tour. There's a new flood of copies of these sets lately on both amazon and Dusty Groove--the latter are cheaper when they have them. I have a few on the way that I think complete my collection. Yes, I'd love to see a Hutcherson tour planned and recorded.

Thanks for letting me know about that.  I will have to be on the lookout for some of their other sets then.

Now playing:

R-7617785-1446156424-7114.jpeg.jpg

An EU reissue which, in addition to this trio album, also includes Jazz Epistle -- Verse 1 by The Jazz Epistles, both albums from 1960.

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Horace Silver Quintet, "The Stylings of Silver" 24 bit by RVG Blue Note Japan cd

252184684299.jpg

Now playing:

pat-martino.jpg?&width=780&quality=60

55 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Charlie Parker, "The Savoy 10 Inch LP Collection" Concord cd

I thought a 10 inch was an EP? 

An EP was 7".

s-l400.jpg

Edited by BillF