So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

Yeah, 10' was (mostly) the OG LP. I'm a fan of the medium as objects (and occasionally as records). Once 12" became the norm, that look (and sound!) was pretty much gone forever. Half Price will usually have some, and I look for anything that appeals, for whatever reason.

For classical, it's actually a big deal sometimes, because there are some things that never made it past 10" until the CD era, and then only sometimes.

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51QPPKD4PPL.jpg

Andrew Hill - Blue Black (Test of Time, 2005; originally released on East Wind in 1977)
with Jimmy Vass (ss, as, fl), Chris White (b), Leroy Williams (d)

The title cut on this album reminds me of "Plantation Bag" from Passing Ships.  Incredibly funky, but also knotty and lopsided -- like a wheel rim with a flat spot -- all at the same time.  Fantastic.

and

91q2DPDqu+L._SS500_.jpg

Andrew Hill - Live at Montreux (Arista-Freedom, 1976)
Solo piano.

Hill made both Blue Black and Live at Montreux in 1975.  And Hommage too! ... THREE amazing records in one year.  1975! 

... Not much talk about what a great year for jazz 1975 was.  But it was!

EDIT: 
I forgot about Divine Revelation, another LP Hill made in 1975 for SteepleChase.  An even more bountiful harvest! ... Though, to be truthful, I might not rate Divine Revelation QUITE as high as those other three.

Edited by HutchFan

R-1605477-1539638027-9928.jpeg.jpg

and its Spanish RCA version (same disc, different cover):

Discos de vinilo: LIONEL HAMPTON: JAZZ FLAMENCO. RCA AÑOS 50 - Foto 1 - 44152655

By the way, absolutely nothing to see with flamenco, other than María Angélica's castanets... As an example, I've Got A Brand New Baby is pure R&B, Bop City Flamenco is a mambo...

Tete Montoliu featured on Spain, Tenderly and  Toledo Blade.

Edited by EKE BBB