Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

Probably more the latter in a way, if you can call transcribed Bird solos traditional. A trumpet or trombone is usually added to the charts for variety and for solos (they had the best - Conte Candoli, Blue Mitchell, Frank Rosolino, Carl Fontana).  On the studio recordings there are no saxophone solos; however in concert there were. But those Bird transcriptions took some serious woodshedding, I'm sure. I haven't heard the WSQ that much but I really don't see a connection at all. 

Going to add a story here. Back in the 70's Supersax was booked for a two day jazz festival in Toronto with a performance each day. They flew into Toronto and believe it or not, the airline "lost" the book. But one of the saxophone players had kept his book with him on the plane and the rest crowded together, trying to read his book and play their own parts. It really didn't go so well. Just too demanding even for these guys.  They wound up playing the heads and jamming through the tunes with lengthy solos. But by the second today the lost book had been found and they really nailed it. 

Sadly, when I saw the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra in Manchester in November 1969 foggy weather at airports led to the separation of band uniforms and charts from the players. Didn't mind them showing up in t-shirts, but really missed those great arrangements I'd heard on the records. They jammed all evening, but as the package also included Freddie Hubbard, Richard Williams and Richard Groove Holmes, there was plenty to listen to!

On 11/14/2020 at 11:43 AM, kh1958 said:

Charles Mingus, Bremen, 1964 and 1975 (Sunnyside)Image result for Charles Mingus bremen sunnyside

I've just listened so far to the 1975 concert (I have the 1964 concert already). It is well recorded, balanced and clear, with top notch performances from all parties. A quality live version of Changes One and Two (except for Orange Was the Color...) with a couple of additional songs. Very pleased to have this concert on CD.

I'm just listening to the 1975 concert too.  I love it.