Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-6359237-1417294814-2001.jpeg.jpg

One of the drawbacks of having a large music collection is that it may be a loooong time between visits for some discs.  I swear it's been at least 20 years since I last played this one.  My loss.  An interesting assortment of tunes (mostly original works by Mr. Edwards) and some lively playing. 

This is one of Mr. Edwards originals, but it sure sounds like there is a Horace Silver tune in there itching to break free --

s-l1600.jpg

Produced by Dave Pell.  Seems like she's almost forgotten today, but Connie Haines could sing.  There's a good assortment of standards on this tribute album and I'm always a sucker for "More Than You Know".  The version of "Yesterdays" here is a tad overwrought, however.

For, "Bill", the studio orchestra is abandoned in favor of just a piano trio and Ms. Haines excels.

1 hour ago, Justin V said:

Ahmad_Jamal_Blue_moon_set.jpg?format=750

I received a signed copy of this from Jamal's website today. :tup

I have the CD and remember liking it.  I did not know there was a CD/DVD version available.

It's Saturday night, so I'm hittin' the clubs --

image.jpg

in this case, The Tally-Ho (1954) for tracks 1 - 12 and perhaps appropriately, The Encore (1955) for tracks 13 - 24.

I guess Matt Dennis did okay for himself, but it had to sting a little bit that to the general public, his best songs -- "Angel Eyes", "Violets For Your Furs", "The Night We Called It a Day", "Let's Get Away From It All" -- are most commonly referred to as as "Sinatra songs".  I'm sure the royalty checks were terrific, though.

14 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

An excellent recording. :tup:tup:tup

Have  this edition (...and some more)  in my stock from the Innovation label

39916482ul.jpg

At least my album cover shows Phil. He sees to have been erased from yours!  Not a cap in sight! ^_^

Edited by BillF