Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, bresna said:

You like his bow work? Wow. I can't remember hearing anyone else say that.

He's no Ray Brown when it comes to arco but it didn't bother me. He's a sincere player and it came across that way to me. I enjoyed the whole mood and atmosphere of the album. 

36 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I'll say it. I like it.

I can't wait to listen to it again actually. 

Edited by Dub Modal

Bowing is funny, and comes in a lot of different ways. What I don't like is players who obviously have not yet gotten a grip on the basics. Chambers obviously had that, so from there, it's just listening to the lines, and there as well, they add up, good thoughts well-executed.

Some take issue with his tone, that it's a little "thin" in comparison to "classical" standards, and sure, it is. But that's not a factor unless it becomes one, and I don't let it become one because Paul Chambers is playing the way he wants to, the way he hears it. He knows what he's doing and why. It's not like the guy didn't have training, you know.

You know, there's always room for improvement, but Paul Chambers is dead now, so not for him. Improvement is for the living.

42 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

I like everything Paul Chambers does almost every time.

Now playing

SFJazz Collective "The Music of Michael Jackson and Original Compositions" disc 1

Front.jpg

Did they include "Thriller" on the CD?  That was the most memorable performance when I saw them performing that music in concert.

Now playing:

3688930-2504666.jpg

which contains three radio broadcasts:  from Sardi's in Hollywood, 1956 (the announcer for this broadcast sounds like he attended the Ronald Colman Academy for High Class Elocution), and two from Brant Inn in Burlington, Ontario ("down the lakeshore from the steel city of Hamilton"), one in '59 and the last in '60.

7 minutes ago, duaneiac said:

Did they include "Thriller" on the CD?  That was the most memorable performance when I saw them performing that music in concert.

Yes.

Now playing
Jimmy Rushing "Goin' to Chicago"

from

MI0001750745.jpg?partner=allrovi.com
Lonehill Jazz cd
Alto Saxophone, Clarinet – Ben Richardson
Bass – Walter Page
Drums – Jo Jones
Piano – Sam Price
Tenor Saxophone – Buddy Tate
Trombone – Henderson Chambers
Trumpet – Pat Jenkins
Vocals – Jimmy Rushing

I knew this was going to happen. I just need to hear that Basie groove. Chose this one, and there may be more. . . .

Count Basie/Joe Williams "Just the Blues" Roultette Records/Warner Japan cd

count-basie-joe-williams-just-the-blues-

This most recent series of Routlette Records reissues from Japan sounds fantastic.

NP:

R-7006741-1431528765-5053.jpeg.jpg

Beck, Mathewson, Humair - Jazz Trio (Dire)

from discogs:
Originally recorded at Fontana Studios in Milan, Italy in January 1972 and subsequently released on the Italian Dire label on LP the same year. Recorded during a tour of Italy with Phil Woods, the European Rhythm Machine, consisting of Gordon Beck, Ron Mathewson and Daniel Humair, recorded this entire album in the course of one morning. The album features two long compositions, "Suite No. 5," composed by Gordon Beck and performed in three movements followed by the track, "All In the Morning," composed by Gordon Beck, Ron Mathewson and Daniel Humair and performed in two movements.

R.I.P.  Ron Mathewson

2 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

NP:

R-7006741-1431528765-5053.jpeg.jpg

Beck, Mathewson, Humair - Jazz Trio (Dire)

from discogs:
Originally recorded at Fontana Studios in Milan, Italy in January 1972 and subsequently released on the Italian Dire label on LP the same year. Recorded during a tour of Italy with Phil Woods, the European Rhythm Machine, consisting of Gordon Beck, Ron Mathewson and Daniel Humair, recorded this entire album in the course of one morning. The album features two long compositions, "Suite No. 5," composed by Gordon Beck and performed in three movements followed by the track, "All In the Morning," composed by Gordon Beck, Ron Mathewson and Daniel Humair and performed in two movements.

R.I.P.  Ron Mathewson

Went ahead by one minute ;-) .... indeed funny ....

1 minute ago, soulpope said:

Went ahead by one minute ;-) .... indeed funny ....

Synchronicity!  ;) 

38 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Now playing
Jimmy Rushing "Goin' to Chicago" from

MI0001750745.jpg?partner=allrovi.com
Lonehill Jazz cd
Alto Saxophone, Clarinet – Ben Richardson
Bass – Walter Page
Drums – Jo Jones
Piano – Sam Price
Tenor Saxophone – Buddy Tate
Trombone – Henderson Chambers