Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-2468328-1285725408.jpeg.jpg

Michael Garrick Band - Home Stretch Blues (Argo/Vocalion, 1972)

I love this -- and all of Garrick's records with Norma Winstone.

14 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Easy Living is one of the great Sonny Rollins albums of the 70´s. When I saw Rollins live in 1979, he played "Isn´t She Lovely" from that recent album. That was a great band with Marc Soskin, Jerome Harris and Al Foster......

Wish I could have seen/heard that! 

I only had the opportunity to see Sonny one time, about ten years ago.  Unfortunately, it was at an auditorium here in Atlanta with very poor acoustics, and I was sitting near the back of the hall.  A less than ideal experience ...but at least I got to see him perform.

Edited by HutchFan

21 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

R-2468328-1285725408.jpeg.jpg

Michael Garrick Band - Home Stretch Blues (Argo/Vocalion, 1972)

I love this -- and all of Garrick's records with Norma Winstone.

Wish I could have seen/heard that! 

I only had the opportunity to see Sonny one time, about ten years ago.  Unfortunately, it was at an auditorium here in Atlanta with very poor acoustics, and I was sitting near the back of the hall.  A less than ideal experience ...but at least I got to see him perform.

I actually saw the Garrick ‘Home Stretch Blues’ lineup back in the 2000s. It was for a BBC broadcast and pretty sure that all of the lineup were still then present. Sadly,  Don Rendell and Michael Garrick are no longer with us but the rest of the band are still active.

14 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I actually saw the Garrick ‘Home Stretch Blues’ lineup back in the 2000s. It was for a BBC broadcast and pretty sure that all of the lineup were still then present. Sadly,  Don Rendell and Michael Garrick are no longer with us but the rest of the band are still active.

Another concert that I would've loved to have heard. :tup  I wonder if there's a recording of the concert you saw in the BBC's archives -- and, if so, will it ever see the light of day?

I think Garrick was brilliant, unique.

Edited by HutchFan

4 hours ago, Justin V said:

51jLKUTScxL._AC_SX296_SY426_FMwebp_QL65_

Idris Muhammad is soooooooo damn funky on this one. :wub:  the organist, Ronnie Foster, came to Cleveland a few years ago and I was out of town for a family wedding.

Albums like this should be recognised as funk classics. As you say, Mr. Muhammad makes it. 

1 hour ago, Tom 1960 said:

Song For Biko by Johnny Dyani Quartet (1997-03-18)

I was listening to this earlier. Damn it's good.

38 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Another concert that I would've loved to have heard. :tup  I wonder if there's a recording of the concert you saw in the BBC's archives -- and, if so, will it ever see the light of day?

I think Garrick was brilliant, unique.

Believe it or not, it was a Poetry show, so they did some jazz and poetry ! Should be in the BBC archives.

I had a ticket to see a subsequent broadcast they did at BBC Maida Vale Studios but sadly, couldn’t make it.

I saw this cd in my weekly email from Dusty Groove but by the time I got to the website, it was gone. Found it on Discogs.

Incredible lineup: Dizzy, Max Roach, Stan Getz, Jackie McLean, Phil Woods, Bags, Hank Jones and Percy Heath. And equally good music. 

84635E52-068D-43E2-9B3B-60AB64ADD1E8.jpeg

Betty Carter "Social Call" Columbia Special Products cd

social-call-w-iext44961931.jpg

Powerful early Betty with Ray Bryant small group and Gigi Gryce led bigger band.

Recorded May 13 & 16, 1955, New York City, New York, USA (tracks 1-6):

Betty Carter - vocals
Ray Bryant - piano
Jerome Richardson - flute, saxophone
Wendell Marshall - double bass
Jo Jones - drums
Recorded April 25, 1956 (tracks 7-11):

Betty Carter - vocals
Gigi Gryce - arranger and leader
Bernie Glow, Nick Travis, Conte Candoli, Joe Ferrante - trumpet
Urbie Green, Jimmy Cleveland - trombone
Sam Marowitz, Al Cohn, Seldon Powell, Danny Bank - saxophone
Hank Jones - piano
Milt Hinton - double bass
Osie Johnson - drums

I have the 1980 vinyl release as well. If I see a nicely priced copy of the newer cd from Sony Europe I may go for it. . . .

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Maysa "Barquinho"

maysa-barquinho.jpg

Music from Brazil, 1961 . . . a fabulous singer. A fellow jazz board denizen turned me on to her and this is my first exposure, and won't be my last.

Maysa.jpeg

Maysa has several tracks in the anthology, The Women of Bossa Nova, volume 1, which is available on amazon.