• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

Stan-Kenton-Odyssey-1951-68-Stan-Kenton-CD-NWVG-The-Fast-Free-Shipping

Thats a good one. Some years ago I was in touch via mail with the producer of Astral Records  John Loeffler (german born Hans Löffler).

He informed me about other recordings he had produced. We did exchange some music (more from his side than mine). Here are other  copies:

Kenton,Stan    "live" at KEESELER Air Force Base    1958    Astral Jazz    102
Kenton,Stan    Concert in Wiesbaden    1953    Astral Jazz    101
Kenton,Stan    Kenton ' 63 - Concert in England    1963    Astral Jazz    104
and the above mentioned compilation  issue # 105 on the Astral label.  Here I like best the period from 1951 to 1958

Part of this issue are also  2 tracks from the famous Berlin Sportpalast concert. I think that was Stans first visit to Germany.

I have them all and must say these were the times when Stan really had  great bands. Nice to see that  also our common friend Fred Augermann was part of the  production crew for 3 of those and also another friend Steven D. Harris on 2 copies.

Edited by jazzcorner

10 minutes ago, JSngry said:

R-2401724-1330000335.jpeg.jpg

R-2401724-1330000313.jpeg.jpg

Sounds/Feels like "smooth jazz" to me, but not in a derogatory way.

I thought that when he was on a recent BFT, but his playing keeps it firmly out of any smooth jazz cheese. Some of the production elements flirt with smooth jazz but he and his bandmates keep it interesting. I'm not a smooth jazz hater either, FTR. 

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

I thought that when he was on a recent BFT, but his playing keeps it firmly out of any smooth jazz cheese. Some of the production elements flirt with smooth jazz but he and his bandmates keep it interesting. I'm not a smooth jazz hater either, FTR. 

I don't necessarily equate "smooth jazz" with "cheese" (although god knows it's a well-deserved conditioned relex/survival mechanism to do so). What struck me about this record (or the first disc, anyway, as far as I've gotten) is how "large audience ready" the whole thing is. I mean, it's all there but the sing/clap-along. And that's ok with me, I mean, if you can get a lot of people to listen to something besides metronomes and fascistic diatonic assaults, good for you.

I was just sorta taken aback at how...un-austere the whole thing was. I've not listened to Gararek for a loooong time, when was It's Ok To Listen to the Grey Voice? I liked him, precisely becuase of his austerity. He had a sorta "bleak vision" thing going on that seemed quite real to me. But there's nothing like that here.

But, as "friendly" as it is, there's no cheapness, none. So, yeah, Do it like that. Cheapness sucks.