• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Gardens of Harlem by Clifford Thornton and the Jazz Composer's Orchestra (JCPO, 1975).

R-604664-1463413845-2538.jpeg.jpg

I'd previously avoided this one because I assumed it would be the dreaded early 70s free jazz mass blowfest, but I'm pleased at how wrong I was. Really good tunes on this one and some nice soloing. It could perhaps have done with another rehearsal or two, but it's good as is.

Edited by Rabshakeh

15 hours ago, BillF said:

Just heard the first track of the album and with Jeff Hamilton on drums and John Goldsby on bass they're really movin'. :tup

Any sign today of masked Boris in the RAF helicopter flying around and inspecting your neck of the woods, Bill? :D

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Any sign today of masked Boris in the RAF helicopter flying around and inspecting your neck of the woods, Bill? :D

Heard (unusually these days) an aircraft this morning, but missed my chance of pushing the passenger in the river.

5 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Are the floods local to yourself?

Fortunately no. I live about one mile from the Mersey. The houses that were evacuated are 100-200 yards from the river.

IIRC about 20 years ago when the Environment Agency first published flood risk maps they showed two levels: areas at imminent risk and areas at once-in-a-hundred-years risk. My house is a few hundred yards beyond area 2. All the houses affected last night were firmly in area 1 (as are large areas of central London). Again IIRC, publication had such an impact on property values that a revised edition omitted area 2 completely.

18 minutes ago, BillF said:

:tup :tup

First heard the sextet in the late 50s, but it was on this album. Formative influence on my jazz tastes:

$_57.jpg

For me too! It was one of my fathers jazz records and he was really the one that got me into jazz. His collection was a bit limited but Mulligan was one of the artists that was present. And this very record remained one of my favorites by him (and generally in jazz).

14 minutes ago, BillF said:

Fortunately no. I live about one mile from the Mersey. The houses that were evacuated are 100-200 yards from the river.

IIRC about 20 years ago when the Environment Agency first published flood risk maps they showed two levels: areas at imminent risk and areas at once-in-a-hundred-years risk. My house is a few hundred yards beyond area 2. All the houses affected last night were firmly in area 1 (as are large areas of central London). Again IIRC, publication had such an impact on property values that a revised edition omitted area 2 completely.

Interesting - good to hear that you aren’t affected. River level and flow rate near my place today (piddling little puddle) was ‘robust’.