• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, JSngry said:

R-5523505-1395611632-5994.jpeg.jpg

Reaction-neutral, primarily because I can't tell what it really is. Lots of sounds and lots of space, both very evocatively delineated, and I get that the them is "fairy tales" (right?) but how to connect that to this music requires a set of references I'm afraid I do not yet have. It's not off-putting by any means, not by a long shot. But it also does not begin to draw me in either.

Maybe I'm not playing it loud enough.

Ok, played it louder, liked it more. Has anybody drawn the line between Gabrarek and Yusef Lateef? I think there's one (or more) to be drawn.

This ECM "atmospheric" thing...I get it, but am not sure that it's always an imperative, never mind an incentive to listen. Water under the bridge by now, of course. But on this one, just a little less might not have hurt anything.

Anyway, glad I listened more than once.

I have been listening to dozens of tracks from as many CDs to test my new bedroom system since it arrived last Saturday - too many to list them. That small Micromega MyAmp system stands the text effortlessly. Anybody looking for a cheap amp that sounds like a much larger and mor expensive  amp should consider it. The matching headphone amp is on its way to me. 

On 1/14/2021 at 7:32 PM, jazzbo said:

Charles Mingus "Bremen 1964/1975" Sunnyside 4 cd set

I'm finally getting my head round that one. Didn't order it online, but had it reserved at my regular store. So I had to wait a bit. But yesterday I got it, together with Bill Evans live at Ronnie Scott's from Resonance, which was also waiting for me. Its awesome, though I'm still listening my way through the 64 broadcast. I'm waiting for the 75 one.

1 hour ago, Bluesnik said:

I'm finally getting my head round that one. Didn't order it online, but had it reserved at my regular store. So I had to wait a bit. But yesterday I got it, together with Bill Evans live at Ronnie Scott's from Resonance, which was also waiting for me. Its awesome, though I'm still listening my way through the 64 broadcast. I'm waiting for the 75 one.

I've had the '64 for a long time. The '75 is really nice.

Ha!

141038698_10159142785939736_4414545427028339152_n.jpg

On 14/01/2021 at 6:32 PM, jazzbo said:

Charles Mingus "Bremen 1964/1975" Sunnyside 4 cd set, disc 3

0021666498_10.jpg

The opening disc of the 1975 show. Sound exceeding my expectations! 

Charles Mingus and his recordings were an early jazz fascination. In the last decade I have listened to his work less often, and I'm not sure why. But I can correct that. . . .

Just catching up with this. Terrific.

"Newport Rebels" Candid/Solid Records Japan cd

Nicely remastered mono. This is always an interesting listen.

R-9854548-1490948081-6739.jpeg.jpg

Alto Saxophone – Eric Dolphy 
Bass – Charles Mingus, John "Peck" Morrison
Drums – Jo Jones, Max Roach 
Piano – Kenny Dorham, Tommy Flanagan 
Tenor Saxophone – Walter Benton 
Trombone – Jimmy Knepper, Julian Priester 
Trumpet – Benny Bailey, Booker Little, Roy Eldridge
Vocals – Abbey Lincoln