• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I meant... musically.

Oh! Intriguing... I don’t recall having heard Powell’s tunes scored for jazz orchestra before. I’ve listened only once and should revisit in the next several days before weighing in further, but Ingrid Jensen’s trumpet-playing stood out for me first time through. Also want to spend a little more time absorbing the original material that Ethan wrote for the album in addition to his Bud arrangements.

18 hours ago, HutchFan said:

NP:

91SZG2h9DnL._SL500_.jpg

Shabaka & the Ancestors - We Are Sent Here by History (Impulse, 2020)

Earlier:

519fzHO3S5L.jpg

Ryan Cohan - Originations (Origin, 2020)

I've only heard a handful of albums released in 2020 -- but I would certainly recommend these two.

They're very different, but they're both excellent.

Yes!  Especially when the package contains music as good as that Hampton Hawes disc!  :g

Yes indeed! Just finished listening to the 1975 Eastern Rebellion reissue that was also in the package, and finishing up with what prompted me to start the order in the first place—another purchase brought about by reading this board:

Hayes-Tubby-Free-Flight.jpg

15 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Oh! Intriguing... I don’t recall having heard Powell’s tunes scored for jazz orchestra before. I’ve listened only once and should revisit in the next several days before weighing in further, but Ingrid Jensen’s trumpet-playing stood out for me first time through. Also want to spend a little more time absorbing the original material that Ethan wrote for the album in addition to his Bud arrangements.

Yes indeed! Just finished listening to the 1975 Eastern Rebellion reissue that was also in the package, and finishing up with what prompted me to start the order in the first place—another purchase brought about by reading this board:

Hayes-Tubby-Free-Flight.jpg

Sound quality as good as can be expected considering the circumstances but great music and the usual expert sleeve note essay by Simon Spillett.