• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Randy Weston "The Spirits of our Ancestors" disc 2

maxresdefault.jpg

A few years ago I overdosed on Weston and haven't played him a lot since. A mistake. Life is better with Weston in it. I love his writing and playing, and Melba Liston arranges wonderfully for his compositions.

1 hour ago, Referentzhunter said:

jghghg.jpg

Great. I remember when I first purchased it when I was very young, I didn´t know that "Nefertiti" is the title of the Wayne shorter composition. 

then, in 1978  I first thought  that  "Nerfertiti" might be  an Italian Name and perhaps some Italian film producer, so when I first saw the cover I thought this is possibly some movie score, like "Lift to the Scaffold" or later "Siesta".:D

I'm leaning on the power of music in these days of pandemic strife and "QAnon" vicious insidious LIES. This particular Sanders release speaks to something inside me. . . a hope that "Love is Everywhere."

Pharoah Sanders, "Wisdom through Music" Impulse/Universal Japan SHM-CD (2021).

R-391468-1170921956.jpeg.jpg

Malfada Minnozzi "Sensorial--Portraits in Boss and Jazz"

Mafalda-Minnozzi-Sensorial-Portraits-in-

Took a chance on this one via Dusty Groove in Chicago--I haunt their Brazilian releases online and order a few a month. This one was a nice "blind leap"--really enjoy it's instrumentation and her interpretations.

572A2110.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

FARO_178CD_-_Otis_Trio_74_Club_700x700_1

Otis Trio "74 Club" Far Out cd

A Brazilian jazz group. . . somewhat "out". . . a guitar trio supplmented with vibes, sax, clarinet, trumpet and trombone in varying ensembles. The first cut starts off with a Rolling Stones riff and ends with a Batman tv show riff, just to mess with expectations. An intriguing release.

Edited by jazzbo

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I'm leaning on the power of music in these days of pandemic strife and "QAnon" vicious insidious LIES. This particular Sanders release speaks to something inside me. . . a hope that "Love is Everywhere."

Pharoah Sanders, "Wisdom through Music" Impulse/Universal Japan SHM-CD (2021).

R-391468-1170921956.jpeg.jpg

Here´s also Pharoah Sanders listening right now:

"Live at the East" was one of my first LPs at high school. Though this is not the easiest music for a young listener, I dug it, and still dig that great "Healing Song" with those voices. 

And one of my favourites from the time when Pharoah played more in the traditional manner with a regular quartet is "Heart is a Melody of Time". 

It´s interesting that both Archie Shepp and Pharoah Sanders, once pioneers of Free Jazz, got back to more straight ahead stuff during the late 70´s early 80s. 

Download (2).jpg

Download (3).jpg