Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, soulpope said:

You know about my preference for Milcho Leview with Art Pepper, nevertheless what a luxury to have George Cables as "alternative" .... we should simply enjoy the music ....

You are absolutely correct.  Both of them are wonderful.

I was only making a silly joke over nothing. ;) 

13 hours ago, jazzbo said:

This one again. I have to say this is quite a feat of audio engineering, especially "Memories of John W. Coltrane," the way the instruments and voices are recorded is exceptional, and then they are artfully mixed into a beautiful tapestry that sways in the musical wind. And that gong! Wow.

Pharoah Sanders "Live at the East" Impulse/Universal Japan SHM-CD 2021. 

R-805208-1414941937-7009.jpeg.jpg

Then the Tubby Hayes Quartet, "Grits, Beans and Greens" disc 1 from this Complete Fontana Albums box set. This was a great LP that never happened.

R-14704117-1579984421-5004.jpeg.jpg

And now, just to disorient myself from the normal Columbia Miles experience, "Nefertiti"--Tony on the left and Herbie on the right!

51czE-brvYL.jpg

1662148.jpg?ae=1563416140

This version is the Sony LP facsimile cd SRCS 9116 with 20bit SBM mastering. Not the best sounding of this release, but I have had it a long time and like to listen to it.

On 8.2.2021 at 0:33 AM, Don said:

R-2276874-1273942051.jpeg.jpg

On 9.2.2021 at 1:29 AM, Don said:

R-7961341-1452466601-2127.jpeg.jpg

Both "Time Waits" and "The Scene Changes" are really great. 

About Pharoah Sanders: I purchased live at the East when I was still at high school. 

Edited by Gheorghe

Bush Baby (Adelphi, 1978) by Black Arthur Blythe, as he was billed on the cover.

Bush_Baby_(album).jpg

Coming off the tuba chat of the last few days, really. 

My favourite of the earlier Blythes.

It strikes me that, if ever asked what the term "Loft Jazz" refers to, one could hardly do better than to just put this record on. 

Edited by Rabshakeh

1 hour ago, BillF said:

Unfortunately I never saw Joe Henderson.

Saw him once with a Canadian rhythm section (1990, Jerry Fuller on drums, probably also Don Thompson).  Unforgettable - absolutely distinctive sound on what looked like a sax with most of the lacquer worn off !

From memory I was a bit late arriving so missed some of the set. He was in the middle of ‘Recorda Me’ when I arrived.

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, optatio said:

Saw Joe Henderson July 9, 1982 in Vienne (France):

40518590hp.jpg

Some sensational names on that program!

In that era I was due to go to the San Sebastian Jazz Festival which was featuring Rollins, Konitz and Bill Evans, but I pulled out at the last minute, scared by reports of Basque separatist bombings. :(

Archie Shepp "Blase into Yasmina Revisited" Ezzthetics cd.

Followed by
Cecil Taylor "Mixed to Unit Structures Revisited" Ezzthetics cd

Got in a package from squidco yesterday with the latest Ezzthetics cds. Listening to these I'd say . . . they are definitely remastered. Not at all compressed. But. . . in the case of the Taylor I'd say I prefer the most recent Japanese reissues I have of these. The Ezzthetics have a more "cerebral/analytical" sound to them, the Japanese cds more depth and body to the sound. Not extreme, each is just on the other side of an imaginary 'NEUTRAL' signature between those characteristics. Been a while since I have heard my earlier versions of the Shepp and they are 45 miles away in my storage unit. . . somewhere in one of thirty boxes or so.

Edited by jazzbo