So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

The OG, from 1956(!), with a meaningful solo by Al Sears (the longer I listen, the more meanigful Al Sears sounds to me. Quirky, but meaningful).

NO idea that this was the original - or that there even was an original before Millie Smalls), but the story here is...typical: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Boy_Lollipop

but check it out, besides Sears, Leroy Kirkland and Panama Francis. No bass, not needed and Panama Francis that guy,,,there's a whole code between R&B and jazz that...you talk about a dystopian future jazz, when that code gets lost, then yeah, dystopian. And dammit, we are SO about to pass the point of no return on that one. But oh well about that.

Thing is, the code is not secret, you almost have intentionally NOT hear it, but...it is what it is, and it means what it means.

Nevertheless, Millie Smalls, Ernest Raglin, they spoke the code. so here, it would be wrong to post about this without including this:

MILLIE SHOW!!!

• Replies 79.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What Jackie Wilson REALLY said was, ok, I'm just doing my thing, working hard for the people, and THEN they turned the lights up and all these white chicks swarmed in and it IMMEDIATELY was good to them, so good that they had to send out these white guys to run interference so I didn't killed, and that worked well enough, but, really, it was too late, and they cancelled Shindig anyway so hell, you know, just another gig as far as I was concerned. No matter where I turn, I'm getting fucked over.

So write THAT song Van.