So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

odeygC0r%2BvQQxHMT5gM18FpwA%3D

Lots of people on this record...and there they all are, including Dianne Reeves, she's in there somewhere, I think. But I don't know...

I've seen Dianne Reeves in concert 3 times and while I like some of her CDs, she really seems to come across best in front of an audience. Here's one of my favorite live performances by her which, fortunately, was taped. I wish these two had recorded a duo album. They seem like a comfortable musical pair.

• Replies 79.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, duaneiac said:

I've seen Dianne Reeves in concert 3 times and while I like some of her CDs, she really seems to come across best in front of an audience. Here's one of my favorite live performances by her which, fortunately, was taped. I wish these two had recorded a duo album. They seem like a comfortable musical pair.

There's a track my current BFT that features her singing "Down Here On The Ground" that comes from one of those BN Remix projects they do every so often, and it is amazing. I mean, my god, where does that come from? Somewhere inside, obviously, right? So, I'm thinking that maybe I had missed something over the years, and...not really? I think that Edward Murrow soundtrack has some good things on it, so maybe sometimes. But otherwise, I hear some good singing, but no real RWAHHHH of guts that gets everything out of the way except THAT.

She's an enigma to me, sorta, obviously a wonderful instrument, but always a little...restrained. I would go see her live, though, assuming I could afford it.

The 5th and final disc of the "Complete Capitol Live Recordings of the George Shearing Quintet" on Mosaic Records, cd version.

4715335186.jpg

I had to put something pleasant and breezy on after discovering that my favorite US high school teacher (I only went to high school the final two years in the US) passed away yesterday, and I found out when someone posted a picture of him in the classroom including me as a very competently slouching student from about 49 years ago. Sad. He was never boring--boredom was my biggest enemy in those years as I had learned so much in the boarding school I was at in Swaziland that almost all the cirriculum was something I had learned before. 

Edited by jazzbo

12 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

iu-5.jpeg

:tup

Now playing:

71OV1eZOnAL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

18 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Didn't get to fire up the stereo at all yesterday, and only for an hour or so on Saturday, so being able to plant myself in front of it today is a great thing. And it sounds stupendous this morning.

First up
Zoot Sims "Choice" Pacific Jazz/Toshiba Superbit Jazz Classics lp facsimile cd from Japan. 
R-2940034-1462231595-7838.jpeg.jpg

Followed by
Richard Williams "New Horn in Town" Candid/Solid Records Japan  mono mix cd 
R-2022895-1485011361-4173.jpeg.jpg

Two nice ones there! :tup

17 hours ago, jazzbo said:

220px-Bud_Shank_Shorty_Rogers.jpg

"Bud Shank/Shorty Rogers--Bud Shank/Bill Perkins" Pacific Jazz Toshiba Superbit Jazz Classics LP facsimle cd.

Two different sessions, and an alternate from the second. Jimmy Rowles on piano on the first, Hampton Hawes on the second. . . hard to get better West Coast piano playing.

:tup