• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I listened to disc 4 of this great set twice between yesterday and today (stolen moments! I usually don't get to listen much at all over the weekend.+

s-l300.jpg

Jo Jones on the first session is just so easy breezy and dancing with grace and draws my attention. And on the second session Arvell Shaw commands with his drive and full sound, he was playing with Armstrong as well still at this time and that energy is brought right here.

Teddy Wilson is just astonishingly good on these Verve trio recordings. He makes everything sound so easy, you miss the reworkings of the harmony that just swim in waves and his entire performance of a tune is a calculated journey that one can enjoy on so many levels. I kept thinking of Thelonious Monk here too. . .something in the way his two hands interacted and the simmering that leads into a run up or down the keyboard.  . . . The earliest Monk I have heard reminded me of Wilson, and Duke. . . . There's no vacuum packing in jazz, things seep in and out.

Next up is this, the second one I have bought of this trio. I just love Berger--and I hear a lot of harmelodic influence here, but that is also possibly the sonority of Blackwell's past-present-future battery of beats.

R-549483-1278725507.jpeg.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

17 hours ago, soulpope said:

Nothing could go wrong with this Rhythm Section ....

For sure. Good as all the drummers were that played with Dexter -  Billy Higgins, Art Taylor, Tootie Heath, Eddie Gladden and all the others , it struck me as I was listening that Kenny Clarke arguably gave Dexter the very best drum support he ever had.   

Now:

R-5260946-1388964680-4540.jpeg.jpg

Edited by John Tapscott

13 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Aha, how is that?  All the right names...

If you are interested/favorable to in those names, then yeah, c'mon in, the water's fine! For anybody not knowing those names and are looking for a "regular" Gary Bartz record, uh, maybe not so much. Otherwise, hey, Jazz continues to be dead, LOL!

16 minutes ago, JSngry said:

If you are interested/favorable to in those names, then yeah, c'mon in, the water's fine! For anybody not knowing those names and are looking for a "regular" Gary Bartz record, uh, maybe not so much. Otherwise, hey, Jazz continues to be dead, LOL!

Thanks, those names find favour here so will dive.

I found the Ayers collaboration didn't quite live up to my expectations. My problem, no-one else's

Well, there is a sonic "disconnect" between Ayers and the tracks, but I think that's built in to this type of thing, part of the overall intent, it's like, no sense making it sound like everybody's all in a club pumping fists and yelling and stomping if "jazz is dead", right? So this is like, Gary Bartz is NOT dead, so let's get him tp apparate where we can get him in.

Indeed, not for everybody, and not a record I would think to make, but now that it was, ok then, I can dig it.

2 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

For sure. Good as all the drummers were that played with Dexter -  Billy Higgins, Art Taylor, Tootie Heath, Eddie Gladden and all the others , it struck me as I was listening that Kenny Clarke arguably gave Dexter the very best drum support he ever had.   

Now:

R-5260946-1388964680-4540.jpeg.jpg

:tup