• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Joe Lovano Us Five - Folk Art (Blue Note, 2009)

R-3945257-1350108058-6463.jpeg.jpg

I rarely have an itch to listen to Lovano these days, but I still think this one has stood the test of time fairly well.

Now playing:

Gravitational Systems (Hatology, 2000) by Matthew Shipp and Mat Manieri.

R-692138-1385730685-7232.jpeg.jpg

This is one of my favourite Shipps from the era, two decades ago, when I was first getting into jazz.  His harmonic interplay with Maneri is particularly excellent.

Edited by Rabshakeh

5 hours ago, HutchFan said:

71BEf3urBSL._SL500_.jpg

I saw so many album postings and albums in your ´70s thread that I always said: Same tastes like me, same period I witnessed, 

and now I notice you listen to some things that are completely unknown to me.

It´s sure it´s my fault, I thing I´m not very open for music that is not strictly the so called "jazz". My knowlegde goes from bop, hardbop, modal,free to electric jazz (jazzrock,funk) , but it´s quite hard for me to dig into other stuff:lol:

1 hour ago, Referentzhunter said:

260360.jpg

Just pulled this out to listen to soon.

Right now

MI0000134167.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Sathima Bea Benjamin (with Duke Ellington, Ray Nance, Billy Strayhorn, Dollar Brand et al) "A Morning in Paris" Enja cd

This is a unique, to me amazing session. Produced by Duke Ellington when he was empowered by Reprise Records Sathima was inspired by her husband Dollar's presence and the amazing support of his bandmates on bass and drums, and the appearances by Duke and Billy on piano are also inspiring. And Ray Nance's pizzicato violin is wonderful. The engineering is also top-notch: one sounds as if one is right there in the band, the piano sound is full and resonant and every nuance of Samitha's unusual phrasing and commanding control and presence is revealed naturally.

One of those discs that you don't dare play too often so that its mystery and beauty can be surprising each and every time.

Nancy Harrow "Wild Women Don't have the Blues" Candid/Solid Records Japan mono cd.

e1d4e259584d5938bab0210acf88f365.jpg

What a band!

Baritone Saxophone – Danny Bank
Bass – Milt Hinton
Clarinet, Alto Saxophone – Tom Gwaltney
Drums – Oliver Jackson
Engineer – Bob D'Orleans
Guitar – Kenny Burrell
Piano – Dick Wellstood
Tenor Saxophone – Buddy Tate
Trombone – Dickie Wells
Trumpet, Leader, Arranged By – Buck Clayton
Vocals – Nancy Harrow

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I saw so many album postings and albums in your ´70s thread that I always said: Same tastes like me, same period I witnessed, 

and now I notice you listen to some things that are completely unknown to me.

It´s sure it´s my fault, I thing I´m not very open for music that is not strictly the so called "jazz". My knowlegde goes from bop, hardbop, modal,free to electric jazz (jazzrock,funk) , but it´s quite hard for me to dig into other stuff:lol:

There is no fault in music!  :)  As a listener, if you've found music that pleases your ear, then you're in the right spot. 

OTOH, I hope the sounds that are pleasing to my ear continue to evolve over time.  That's why I enjoy poking around in different places, expanding my musical vocabulary, finding & making new musical meaning by connecting old dots to new dots. 

But that process is a very, very personal thing.  So no one can ever say what is right for you -- except you.

At least that's how I think about it!

Edited by HutchFan

7 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Joe Lovano Us Five - Folk Art (Blue Note, 2009)

R-3945257-1350108058-6463.jpeg.jpg

I rarely have an itch to listen to Lovano these days, but I still think this one has stood the test of time fairly well.

I agree.  I think Folk Art is one of Lovano's best records.

NP:

R-5901880-1524987377-3797.jpeg.jpg

Trio Transition with Special Guest Oliver Lake (DIW, 1988)

A-2909740-1563794061-8156.png.jpg

A-49759-1128382490.jpeg.jpg

Edited by HutchFan