• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My God, if I think how I translated the title of that album when I was a teenager: "eine f***ende Sonate" :o

Well, everybody is playing great on this.

One of the few recordings of Tommy Turrentine, who is really fine and it´s a pity he was so underrated.

On the BN documentary film you can see him and he talks, but he looks very very frail.

Butch Warren , on the last tune "Love" quotes "Old Devil Moon".

Download (3).jpg

6 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

510KMuIP2dL._SX466_.jpg

Tone Janša Quartet featuring Woody Shaw - Dr. Chi (Timeless, 1989)

I read the story about that session in Max Bolleman´s book "Sounds", he was the owner of the studio where most of the Timeless records were made.

It was a terrible stress on that session because of the very unruly and uncoperative behaviour of Woody Shaw, and even worse, of his then girlfriend. But the music was great which is astonishing under those terrible circumstances. 

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Trio Transition with Special Guest Oliver Lake (DIW, 1988)

A-2909740-1563794061-8156.png.jpg

I got very excited there are the prospect of a Sam Rivers / Reggie Workman trio I didn't know about, for about one minute before realising that Sam Rivers never looked that well kempt.

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

a2712377290_16.jpg

How is it? I saw the review today on the FJB. 

2 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I got very excited there are the prospect of a Sam Rivers / Reggie Workman trio I didn't know about, for about one minute before realising that Sam Rivers never looked that well kempt.

:D ... Now that you mention it, Freddie Waits and Sam Rivers do look sorta similar.  I think it's the prominent forehead/high hairline. 

samrivers.jpg

4 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

How is it? I saw the review today on the FJB. 

First listen and I think it's very good.  I've a heap of Wooley albums but haven't bought anything for a few years so took a punt on this as a pre-order. Sounds quite composed to me, it's probably not, and errs on the 'not a lot' end of the 'does it swing?' spectrum :) 

Seriously, it's serious music played very well by some very good musicians.  If you've an ear for Wooley then you'll enjoy it.  It wears all the intellectualising in the notes and on FJB lightly I'd say

An album from 1960 from the popular Dominican bandleader Billo Frómeta
who was a big hit for years in Venezuela. Being against the Dominican dictator
Trujillo, he and his family left for Venezuela while he was in his early 20s.
The name change to Billo's Caracas Boys was a kind of an intentional
insult towards those who vowed to not let him into the Republic again
because of his political views. A full musical life occasionally tainted by
scandal (bigamy, hiring musicians outside of the union, conflicts with local
musicians to the point where he had to travel to Cuba to perform while being
ostracized by Caracas musicians ...), while rehearsing a self-tribute
concert that was to take place the next day - on stage, and just finishing
"A Cuban in Caracas," - he had a stroke and fell over during the audience applause.

H5SW4sH.png

Edited by rostasi

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

"Sidney Bechet and the Blue Note Jazzmen, Vol. 1" Toshiba Blue Note cd.

zaP2_S2038177W.JPG

Bechet on clarinet is always a gas!

It is a gas, and "Blue Horizon" may be the greatest clarinet blues performance on record. Ok, not may be. IS!

Listening to a bit of Ellington with Dizzy:

ellington.jpg

33 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:
39 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

510KMuIP2dL._SX466_.jpg

Tone Janša Quartet featuring Woody Shaw - Dr. Chi (Timeless, 1989)

I read the story about that session in Max Bolleman´s book "Sounds", he was the owner of the studio where most of the Timeless records were made.

It was a terrible stress on that session because of the very unruly and uncoperative behaviour of Woody Shaw, and even worse, of his then girlfriend. But the music was great which is astonishing under those terrible circumstances. 

Yes, good tunes and everybody plays with great energy. I am not much of a Woody Shaw fan, but I think is one of his best. This one and "In My Own Sweet Way" are the only Woody Shaw dates I return to often.    

And gotta get this Boleman book.

Edited by Д.Д.

Natural Information Society with Evan Parkerdescension (Out of Our Constrictions)

HTDPQvN.jpg

Joshua Abrams guimbri
Lisa Alvarado harmonium & effects
Mikel Patrick Avery drums
Evan Parker soprano saxophone
Jason Stein bass clarinet 

Rich in musical associations yet utterly singular in its voice, joyous with an inner tranquility, the music of Natural Information Society is unlike any other being made today. Their sixth album in eleven years for eremite records, descension (Out of Our Constrictions) is the first to be recorded live, featuring a set from London’s Cafe OTO with veteran English free-improv great Evan Parker, & the first to feature just one extended composition. The 75-minute performance, inspired by the galvanizing presence of Parker, is a sustained bacchanalia of collective ecstasy. You could call it their party album.

Larry Coryell's Last Swing With Ireland (The Last Studio Recordings of Larry Coryell)

xzRmpir.jpg

Edited by rostasi