Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

I dig that album too. My first Mingus was Ah Um and it didn't really grab me. Wasn't until I heard the unedited workshop stuff on the Candid albums that I became a big Mingus fan. 

My first Mingus Album was "The Great Concert of Charles Mingus" from 1964 with Eric Dolphy, Cliff Jordan, Jakie Byard and Danny Richmond.

At that time, mid 70´s I was only 16 years old, I had only to records: Miles "Steamin´" and Mingus "Great Concert" (I had sold the 3 Oscar Peterson albums I had before, because they didn´t interest me anymore after hearing Red Garland on Miles´ "Steaming" and Jakie Byard with Mingus. It seems I was meant to get in some heavier stuff from the very start on. I said this is the greatest stuff I ever heard, those tempo changes, changes of moods, sometimes hard swinging, sometimes gettin almost into free jazz, it was MY GUIDE to the history of jazz (Parkeriana) and the then future of jazz (Meditations on Integration). So it was "Parkeriana" that I first heard or read about the name Charlie Parker, so I began to listen to Bird after I had heard Mingus......

Herunterladen (2).jpg

"Miles Davis at Fillmore" was one of the first records I bought for my collection way back in the early 'seventies, and "Thursday Miles" was my favorite side. Today I'm listening to disc 2, the unedited "Thursday Miles" of this set, the Bootleg Series Vol. 3, the Japanese Blu-Spec CD2 version.

LOVE this music!

s-l400.jpg

3 hours ago, rostasi said:

Yes, Clark Terry was spending a lot of time in Europe in those days. I saw him at the Davenport Theatre, Stockport with a British big band. By the time I got to see the Ellington orchestra (several times in the 60s in Manchester, Leicester and Leeds) Terry had already left them.

Edited by BillF