• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, yeah, this is a pleasant listen - just.
Am I surprised that that a young conductor of the LSO has never heard of a kora? Yes.
Would I have rather heard the orchestra perform at least something in a northern Mande heptatonic tonal system? Yes.
Would I have wanted orchestrations done by a duo that doesn't include Nico Muhly? Yes.
Would I have wanted them to spend some more time rehearsing what they were going to present? Possibly.
Still, Diabaté seems to be just fine with the results, so, this is what we get.

MpQKcmi.jpg

Edited by rostasi

XxiHE9Y.jpg

Grand bruit (1991), 21'05

The great mobile sound bodies have an ordinary yet amazing ability to place the listener-traveller “within”, as if one was inside a giant double bass, in this case a train stroked by a double bow: the rails and the air. In 1991, I explored this phenomenon during my daily commute from the studio to my home. I used only a 21 minutes recording and treated it as a single sound object. I then processed and enhanced it as a photographer would have done, immersing it in successive “baths”. The title I chose for this singular form was “Grand Bruit”.

Saphir, sillons, silences (1998), 18'21

This is in fact the idea of a theatre where ancient visions would gather: wax dolls saying “I don't know”, far away women singing in the rain, kind ghosts and old time sounds, non perfect sounds yet so promising. There is today great joy in treating sounds as if they were grooves from the 50's, great joy in recreating this technology and bringing back to life imaginary or made up memories, thus acquiring a new temporal perspective. In this theatre I've played with time just as in dreams with deeply buried colorful images telling us how fragile we are.

Constructions métalliques (2001), 15'30

The sounds come from an ancient iron workshop located in the street I live in, in Saint-Ouen. It is a hundred years old. Bell chimes, welding, sawing. Sparkles, crackles, quietness. The close-in space of the workshop. Human rhythmics with age old gestures, hammer banging to bend the iron. Loud noise of machines cutting the iron as if it were paper. Regular stroke of the power hammer: precise and accurate drum machine. The giant clock of electronic music. And there are voices, the iron craftsmen voices...

Edited by rostasi

E8rwjwV.jpg

Edited by rostasi

29 minutes ago, rostasi said:

E8rwjwV.jpg

There’s always more Steve Lacy to investigate.

Now playing: Ornette Coleman’s Of Human Feelings (Island/Antilles, 1982).

55331586-EB49-4F3B-AA06-F85776E780C1.jpeg

There was some recent talk about Prime Time-era Ornette on this forum, which has sent me on a listening splurge. I haven’t really listened to them since my student days, when I was weirdly fascinated by Jamaaladeen Tacuma.

Amazing how great, yet how comparatively undersung, this music still is. It reminds me of the low appreciation of Mwandishi-era Hancock only a few years ago.

Presumably someone will write a book or do a documentary about Ornette’s electric period sometime soon, and the recognition and price of these records will skyrocket, but I’m enjoying picking them up for comparatively cheap for now.

Edited by Rabshakeh