Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

In a way, Rahsaan was in his day what James Carter is now, IMO.

No disrespect intended to anyone, but I think Rahsaan's artistic vision was much more wide-ranging and imaginative and singular than Carter's.

I suppose this is because I think Kirk gets FAR less credit than he deserves.  I think he belongs in the most rarefied of air, up there on Olympus! 

Just my take, of course. ;) 

4 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Hasaan Ibn Ali "Metaphysics--The Lost Atlantic Album" Omnivore Records cd
816651019571.jpg

hasaan-ibn-ali--photo-credit-larry-fink_

The second and final album Ali released in his lifetime, the original stereo and mono tapes lost in the "great fire," a tape recorded from mono acetates finally mastered and released this week (as most here likely already know). Dense, fascinating music in decent sound.  Such a loss that this and the trio album with Roach are all we have. There’s a chance some private recordings may see the light of day according to the liners. Art Davis is wonderful here, an anchor on a stormy sea.

Another under-recorded master .... my main motivation to go for this release ....

31 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

No disrespect intended to anyone, but I think Rahsaan's artistic vision was much more wide-ranging and imaginative and singular than Carter's.

I suppose this is because I think Kirk gets FAR less credit than he deserves.  I think he belongs in the most rarefied of air, up there on Olympus! 

Just my take, of course. ;) 

You're right, except that the times have changed ;)

That said, it would have been great to see both on one stage locking horns.

NP:

R-1421334-1417112770-9350.jpeg.jpg

Paquito D'Rivera - Paquito Blowin' (Columbia, 1981)

Check out line-up on this LP: Paquito D'Rivera (as, ss, flhn, fl, perc); Mario Rivera (fl); Hilton Ruiz (p); Jorge Dalto (p, el p, kybd); Eddie Gomez (b); Russell Blake (el b); Ignacio Berroa (d, perc); Jerry Gonzalez (perc); Daniel Ponce (perc, cga)

That rhythm section is a MONSTER.

7 hours ago, HutchFan said:

NP:

R-1421334-1417112770-9350.jpeg.jpg

Paquito D'Rivera - Paquito Blowin' (Columbia, 1981)

Check out line-up on this LP: Paquito D'Rivera (as, ss, flhn, fl, perc); Mario Rivera (fl); Hilton Ruiz (p); Jorge Dalto (p, el p, kybd); Eddie Gomez (b); Russell Blake (el b); Ignacio Berroa (d, perc); Jerry Gonzalez (perc); Daniel Ponce (perc, cga)

That rhythm section is a MONSTER.

Serious stuff. 

The birthday boy. . . .

Duke Ellington "Piano in the Background" from the second Complete Columbia Albums" box set. Interesting re-thinkings of classic Ellingtonia, the Orchestra and the "Piano Player" having fun in tht classic studio with its killer sound.

maxresdefault.jpg