• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think I was meant to become a great fan of the more interesting things of music from the very start.

Until the mid 70´s I only had heard some Oscar Peterson and maybe Erroll Garner at the house of some friends, who usually listened to classical music. 

Then someone from the older guys had this Mingus album and I listened to it and bought it the next day.

What can I say: THIS WAS AND STILL IS, some of the greatest music I ever heard. So this was somehow my very start. Mingus became my idol, my mentor, his music on that album was from history (Parkeriana) to the great Meditations, and Fables of Faubus. 

And it was really helpful for me, since it has straight ahead passages, tempo changes and more "free passages". Everything !

Herunterladen (2).jpg

A cdr I made of some rare sessions from the "Blue Note--the SP Days--1939 to 1952" box set from Japan. I think I'm going to have break out the box set and listen to it again soon.

These sessions are Sammy Benskin Trio, Jimmy Shirley, Pig Meat Markham, Clyde Berhardt and his Kansas City Buddies, Vic Dickenson Quartet

s-l300.jpg