• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 3.5.2021 at 2:58 AM, HutchFan said:

71JS%2B2XAecL._SL567_.jpg

Count Basie Encounter Oscar Peterson: Satch and Josh (Pablo/OJC)

I remember this was in the record shops in the 70´s and sold quite well. 

But why "Satch and Josh" , I thought, "Satch" was Louis Armstrong.

I have a few of those Pablo´s from the 70´s but they don´t get as much spinning as other labels. I think, Pablo , Norman Granz had his own philosophy of getting stars from different generations together. At Chrismas I got from my wife "Diz and Basie -The Gifted Ones". Well, it is nice, but really much they don´t have to say each other. They play mostly Blues, and Basie´s piano is too spare and thin for a quartet like this. He is great with his big band when it is together with Freddie Green, but here the thing you hear most, is Ray Browns much too loud bass....

44 minutes ago, Referentzhunter said:

59398.jpg

The only thing I heard from Amy Winehouse in my whole life was a version of "Round Midnight" that she sang, as much as I try to remember. 

I think, they played it for ME, because they wanted to know what I think about that version of Round Midnite. Some said it´s not good, but I said why not, it´s interesting and something else and I was impressed that a singer who otherwise sang stuff that´s not MY music, did this . 

28 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

The only thing I heard from Amy Winehouse in my whole life was a version of "Round Midnight" that she sang, as much as I try to remember. 

I think, they played it for ME, because they wanted to know what I think about that version of Round Midnite. Some said it´s not good, but I said why not, it´s interesting and something else and I was impressed that a singer who otherwise sang stuff that´s not MY music, did this . 

From what i understand you knew her ?! What did you mean by not MY music (what is it you don't like bout it), if i may ask ? , ... just listened to "Round Midnight" bye the way.

... some of her songs touches my heart, ... especially 'Love is a Losing Game', ...  simple, pure, touching, beautifull, poetic. She has such a control over her voice and the sound is unmatched. I do understand some people don't like her melancholic style, hit or a miss i guess ... I personally never had a click with Billy Holiday's music. It is a matter of preference.

This album isn't perfect but more like a little collage of fragments of her life. Her talent floroushing ultimatically in total contradiction with her tragic decaying life makes this 'a Classic album'.

Edited by Referentzhunter

1 hour ago, Referentzhunter said:

From what i understand you knew her ?! What did you mean by not MY music (what is it you don't like bout it), if i may ask ? , ... just listened to "Round Midnight" bye the way.

... some of her songs touches my heart, ... especially 'Love is a Losing Game', ...  simple, pure, touching, beautifull, poetic. She has such a control over her voice and the sound is unmatched. I do understand some people don't like her melancholic style, hit or a miss i guess ... I personally never had a click with Billy Holiday's music. It is a matter of preference.

This album isn't perfect but more like a little collage of fragments of her life. Her talent floroushing ultimatically in total contradiction with her tragic decaying life makes this 'a Classic album'.

Well as I said, someone let me listen to her Round Midnight because they  knew that I might know many many versions of Roundmidnite and what I think about this one. As I said I found it interesting . I´m sure she was a great singer, but I must admit I haven´t listened much to other music than jazz in the last 45 years. So I can´t say much about popmusic, rockmusic and easy music an classical music. But as I repeat, I liked that Round Midnight because it is associated to something I know very well. So I can´t really contribute to running threads about musicians who are from other genres (Bob Dylan corner, James Morrison corner, Classical discussion and so on......

I didn´t want to interfere, being a nobody if it´s about non jazz music, but remembered that I had listened to her Round Midnight and wanted to say this.

Thanks. Gh.