So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

Back to work today, and blasting out Norman Granz' Jam Session #1

R-5852108-1525571711-2053.jpeg.jpg

However it might have been perceived at the time, I think the record has aged extremely well. Really upbeat and emotionally impactful teenage hormone jazz (if I can call it that without disrespect). It's doing a great job at resetting my mood. 

Edited by Rabshakeh

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-744943-1270858467.jpeg.jpg

Caldera - S/T (Capitol)
I love that cover image.  OTOH, I want to like the music more than I actually do.

and

41Bi80FqGdL.jpg

Rahsaan Roland Kirk - A Standing Eight (32 Jazz/Warner Brothers)
Disc 1 - Originally released as The Return of the 5000 Lb. Man and Kirkatron (first half)

Bursting with vitality.

Edited by HutchFan

6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Well as I said, someone let me listen to her Round Midnight because they  knew that I might know many many versions of Roundmidnite and what I think about this one. As I said I found it interesting . I´m sure she was a great singer, but I must admit I haven´t listened much to other music than jazz in the last 45 years. So I can´t say much about popmusic, rockmusic and easy music an classical music. But as I repeat, I liked that Round Midnight because it is associated to something I know very well. So I can´t really contribute to running threads about musicians who are from other genres (Bob Dylan corner, James Morrison corner, Classical discussion and so on......

I didn´t want to interfere, being a nobody if it´s about non jazz music, but remembered that I had listened to her Round Midnight and wanted to say this.

Thanks. Gh.

i totally understand now. yep.

"Duke Ellington's Far East Suite" Sony Japan cd

R-5973546-1422985817-7146.jpeg.jpg

It's odd. I used to avoid this one so that it wouldn't become "too familiar." That was probably good because now I find so much to love in this recording!

John Lamb is so bitchin' here with Duke as he always is. 

Edited by jazzbo

1 hour ago, John Tapscott said:

R-6538203-1473724157-7665.jpeg.jpg

One of my favourite bands ever. Was lucky to see a few years ago a British recreation of that outfit, whose repertoire included lost arrangements reconstructed from the recordings. 

6 minutes ago, BillF said:

One of my favourite bands ever. Was lucky to see a few years ago a British recreation of that outfit, whose repertoire included lost arrangements reconstructed from the recordings. 

Mel Lewis' playing here is incredible.  To put it bluntly, this is a perfect example of someone swinging his a$$ off! 

I saw Mulligan's 1980 Concert Band in concert. A little different than the 1960 version, no big "'star" musicians like Zoot or Clark Terry or Brookmeyer, but still swinging with Gerry's wonderful comp/arrangements and his great baritone playing,  still understated as far as typical big bands go, but still really good, perhaps for that very reason.