Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Some kind of opiate. Or alcohol. For people who can do it without worrying about getting it or running out of it or getting public with it.

Interesting. Streaming now and it's got a strong lounge music vibe going, meaning to me it's background music. Unobtrusive, mellow and not very interesting if listened to closely. Melvoin is new for me in regard to an organ player. 

Actually, more interesting if you listen closely. Very specific decisions being made in terms of timbre, decisions that can get you into a really narcotic zone of a space of sweet clouds with no rough edges. Everything to make you float, nothing to make you hurt.

Not everybody likes to float, true. But there are many different types of float for those who do. This one is soft, painless, and floaty as fuck.

5 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Actually, more interesting if you listen closely. Very specific decisions being made in terms of timbre, decisions that can get you into a really narcotic zone of a space of sweet clouds with no rough edges. Everything to make you float, nothing to make you hurt.

Not everybody likes to float, true. But there are many different types of float for those who do. This one is soft, painless, and floaty as fuck.

Hmmm...will have to listen more closely then, but will need better speakers than these laptop ones. 

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

R-1894050-1515473232-1206.jpeg.jpgR-1894050-1515473243-8463.jpeg.jpg

Fits on one CD with the other one.

The inquiring mind wants to know....what else is there still extant?

It's a groove listening to Paul Bley comp behind Ornette...and then to go to the Floater session.

I believe Paul lost most of his tapes in a fire.

17 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I believe Paul lost most of his tapes in a fire.

damn.

he had a bunch of video too, iirc, one of the early jazz-to-vhs proponents, right?

that's a terrible loss, horrible, actually.

One hopes that there is a repository of 2nd-generation copies of pieces still remaining.

With legal rights and stuff being what they are, the Anderluzzionans could do far worse than to combine these two Hillcrest LPs into one disc. they seem to not give a damn about that no matter what, so here, go do this then.

Then again, I done did my own, so...

Masayuki Takayanagi - Free Form Suite (TBM, rec. 1972).

R-1163216-1595165419-2631.jpeg (1).jpg

Now moved in to Leroy Jenkins' The Legend of Ai Glatson (Black Saint, 1978).

R-2406494-1318189344.jpeg (1).jpg

I reckon this might be the purest jazz violin (jazz fiddle?) record out there. I can think of lots of great jazz records with prominent violin solos or even lead violinist / composers (Billy Bang!), but it's hard to think of one where the pure improvisatory potential of a instrument is as central as on this record.

Edited by Rabshakeh