• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

mnaRhbezBEP0s_dAJPbjP28d_HqPrObZKglIV4xf

Eternal Wind - S/T (Flying Fish, 1984)

Fascinating music from a band led by Detroit trumpeter Charles Moore and Chicago percussionist Adam Rudolph.  ...There's been some recent discussion on the board about the sub-genre "spiritual jazz" (another problematic term, but whatever).  If you think that sub-genre went dormant in the 1980s, give this a listen.  With the players involved, I suppose it's not surprising that this music sounds like something that could've been released on Strata or Tribe or Strata-East during the heyday of "spiritual jazz" -- if only slightly updated for the 1980s.

I dig it.

"Abare Plays Jobim"

albare-cover.jpeg

At first the strings on many numbers put me off but I've learned to ignore them or integrate them into the background. Abare's Les Paul sound is neat here and his rather non-bossa sound is a neat new way to interpret Jobim.

6 hours ago, duaneiac said:

61g3ido59xl._sl1600_aa500_.jpg

This is an album I like to listen to after a hard day of work when I just close my eyes and relax. It swings, everybody´s great on it, and it is long tunes. It GROOVES. 

I have one wonderful memory about this album. Somewhere in the early 2000´s it was a really hot summer night. I was alone at home since my wife had some business in another country. And I also had lot of work had to work at home until after midnight. Then I finished and spinned "The Sermon" and it was so beautiful, so relaxing, with the windows open and looking out into the night and hear the groovy stuff. 

14 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

R-3367715-1327601739.jpeg.jpg

Maybe this Vol 2 is even more exiting that Vol 1. Vol 1 is strictly the Dameron Band with Dameron tunes, which is wonderful, fantastic. 

But on Vol. 2 there are those great encounters with others, like Howard McGhee, Milt Jackson, and the sides with Bud´s Modernists. Wonderful.

R-5260541-1388957643-3455.jpeg.jpg

Slide's Drum Suite blew me away last night. Haven't listened to it in a while and apologies but I had forgotten the genius of Roach's drumming which is on full display here. Sure wish I was good enough to tell when it's Lateef or Coleman soloing, but no problem - enjoyed the music regardless.

Are Slide's arrangements always this dramatic? Not in a bad way, but they're gripping from the get go with some powerful statements. This is the only album I have of his so any further recs for exploring appreciated. 

Moving on to this for the morning:

R-10071553-1491115369-5312.jpeg.jpg