• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually Disc III, the Amsterdam Concert. 

I must admit one thing: One of the first records I had in my teenage days was the Paris Concert. 

I enjoy the Amsterdam stuff but I must admit that the Paris material is much stronger. 

And maybe it´s my fault, but I don´t really enjoy Johnny Coles´ trumpet that much. Somehow, he has a very thin tone and does not really fit into the unit of that most powerful giants like Dolphy, Jordan, Jakie Byard. 

But maybe he was very sick, since he collapsed on stage in Paris, so the Paris material was only the quintet without Coles. 

And the Amsterdam concert is not very well recorded, it´s much better sound quality on the Paris concert. 

Somehow, the "drive" is much more powerful in Paris.....

Download (5).jpg

On 5/10/2021 at 11:10 PM, Rabshakeh said:

Now moved in to Leroy Jenkins' The Legend of Ai Glatson (Black Saint, 1978).

R-2406494-1318189344.jpeg (1).jpg

I reckon this might be the purest jazz violin (jazz fiddle?) record out there. I can think of lots of great jazz records with prominent violin solos or even lead violinist / composers (Billy Bang!), but it's hard to think of one where the pure improvisatory potential of a instrument is as central as on this record.

Ha, I am in complete disagreement on this one. I think Jenkins is really a mediocre violin player and a bad improvisor. Ugly tone, no dynamics, a lot of repetitive licks, no development in solos. Monotone.

As far as jazz violin is concerned that's the one for me:

Or in free improvisation realm:

1 hour ago, Д.Д. said:

Ha, I am in complete disagreement on this one. I think Jenkins is really a mediocre violin player and a bad improvisor. Ugly tone, no dynamics, a lot of repetitive licks, no development in solos. Monotone.

As far as jazz violin is concerned that's the one for me:

Or in free improvisation realm:

I half agree. I never liked Revolutionary Ensemble or CCC much, and I would say that I don't really like Leroy Jenkins much overall.  That album though really hits me hard. 

This is the Leroy Jenkins album that hits me hardest:

R-1104058-1474489126-8718.jpeg.jpg

Strange and wonderful.

Jenkins and Grappelli are apples & oranges.  ... Just because they're playing the same instrument doesn't mean that they're trying to do the same thing. 

1 hour ago, Peter Friedman said:

Just played this very good CD in honor of the late Norman Simmons who just passed away in the past few days.

iu-2.jpeg

Thanks for the heads-up on this, Peter.  With your prompting, I'm listening to it now via YT.  Good stuff.  :tup