• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Thanks. I will certainly listen to it.

I enjoyed but haven't really revisited Reptile. The tuba/soundsystem rhythm thing is definitely what makes me most interested in Sons of Kemet, although I prefer Hutchings' other records where you get to hear him play more.

Which others of his?  I know the Ancestors

Earlier this afternoon:

71ymTIsPCOL._SS500_.jpg

CD 1 - originally released as Sonando, Sanchez's first Concord release

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

Meanwhile, I'm listening to this for the first time:

Lee Konitz Quartet - Ideal Scene (Soul Note, 1983).

R-6689423-1479831669-5886.jpeg.jpg

Recorded on an auspicious day for me, so I am pleased at how much I am enjoying it. Nice to hear Lee Konitz in a setting with a bit more group dynamics and arrangements than usual for him (not a criticism of his other records!).

Masterful.

And hooray for Al Harewood!

:tup:tup:tup 

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Which others of his?  I know the Ancestors

I primarily meant the two Ancestors disks. Comet too, although I'm less into that.  

But his playing elsewhere is good too, I think: particularly on that Makaya McCraven record and on Alexander Hawkins' Unit[e].

1 hour ago, rostasi said:

Shabaka shows up in all kinds of places. Sometimes vocals ... 
or maybe clarinet and sax like on these:

AKyN8hi.jpg?1

AxuFOZD.jpg?1

k4WMk7m.jpg?1

rOdXmto.jpg?1

plus a few more...

Thanks, I have the Zed-U and remember listening to the Kinch when it came out.

He's also on a Five Blokes on Ogun

2 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I primarily meant the two Ancestors disks. Comet too, although I'm less into that.  

But his playing elsewhere is good too, I think: particularly on that Makaya McCraven record and on Alexander Hawkins' Unit[e].

Yeah, agree about those. I had forgotten he was on the Hawkins. I really need to revisit that, it was a favourite when it was released

Edited by mjazzg

wa2cyaC.jpg

A record that definitely lives up to its title – as it's a lot freer and more spiritual than later work from drummer Bubbha Thomas and his Lightmen group! This set perfectly captures the unique vibe that the ensemble brought to the Houston scene at the start of the 70s – really the same sort of new jazz freedom explored by artists like Horace Tapscott in LA, or the AACM in Chicago – performed by a generation of musicians who might have been more straight ahead a few years before – but who really take off here in the new energy of the post-Coltrane years! Most numbers are still pretty rhythmic, and have a unified core – but some of the performances are even more outside than you'd know from later Lightmen records – showing a strong avant jazz pedigree for the members of the group. The lineup here features a very young Ronnie Laws on alto, soprano sax, and flute – sounding quite different than his jazz fusion work of the late 70s – and in addition to Thomas on drums, other players include Doug Harris on tenor, Carl Adams on trumpet, Kenny Abair on guitar, and Joe Singleton on trombone. Titles include "Creative Music", "Free As You Wanna Be", "May 67", "Luke 23:32-49", "#109 Psychosomatic", and "Talk Visit".