So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

R-18782263-1621362280-3548.jpeg.jpg

Maria Grand - Reciprocity

whatever brought me here... first reaction: someone took Steve Coleman's super dry music and tried to bring it back to life... sometimes, she may have taken stuff too literally, and the singing is what it is... but I would argue that it did work to the point where I much rather listen to this than to a recent Steve Coleman recording. recommended.

Edited by Niko

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

59 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Greg Osby - 3-D Lifestyles (Blue Note, 1993)

R-7199568-1435990679-9459.jpeg.jpg

One of the more full blooded attempts at hip hop crossover. For once, one I think that is semi successful.

That may just be my prompt to dig it out. Years since I listened to it. I remember enjoying it, with some reservations, at the time.

45 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

That may just be my prompt to dig it out. Years since I listened to it. I remember enjoying it, with some reservations, at the time.

I didn't listen to it at the time, but I think it has aged okay. At least you get a sense that Osby understood hip hop and wasn't just making a play for credibility: there is a real attempt at fusion, even if it sometimes isn't as good as either genre. It helps that Osby is one of the few horn players who I think doesn't sound trapped by loops, and that the quality of the MCing and production is pretty high.

28 minutes ago, erwbol said:

28 minutes ago, erwbol said:

63g88IE.jpg

I listened to that one yesterday. I enjoyed it more than his other recent albums.

Started off with this one again. Once you fully embrace the fact that this is a film soundtrack tribute album in important ways, and accept the instrumentation, arrangements and "drama," there is much to enjoy here, especially in the guitar and piano solos, and there's also a prog-rock feel to portions that appeals to the long-unprovoked old prog rock fan in me. 

Albare, "Dreamtime"

albare-dreamtime-cover.jpg

13 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

This type of choreography was an impressive art form (not a fan of that CGI angel however).

Indeed!

That particular video was selected for the WTF? factor of not just the CGI angel, but of the whole thing, period. I like the reminder of how the passage of time often leads to an inability to just leave well enough alone. For that, there's this:

20 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Indeed!

That particular video was selected for the WTF? factor of not just the CGI angel, but of the whole thing, period. I like the reminder of how the passage of time often leads to an inability to just leave well enough alone. For that, there's this:

Loved  that tune when I was a kid.

The bit about choreography reminds me of this.

pips.png