Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

SOUND ADVICE BY PAT PATRICK AND THE BARITONE SAXOPHONE RETINUE (SATURN, 1977)

R-7363580-1439851822-2763.jpeg.jpg

It's a fun approachable record, behind the murk and incredibly over-recorded percussion. It is an insight into the type of music Patrick was into when he first passed the threshold of the Arkestra: a sort of big band type music that was always at the heart of Sun Ra's own music, even if contorted into quite different forms. 

As is often the case, much as I love Sun Ra, I do wish his musicians had been allowed to record more. 

Agreed. I need to check this one out. 

0000144354.jpg

I've always really enjoyed this disc, perhaps my favorite among the "late period" Horace Silver albums.  There are several good songs here including the lovely ballad "Soul Mates, his tribute to Louis Armstrong called "Red Beans And Rice" and the funky and danceable "Let It All Hang Out".  It features a superb lineup of saxophonists and it was great to hear O.C. Smith, who had long ago dropped off my radar screen by the time this CD came out in 1994, sing again.

JOE HENDERSON | PAGE ONE | BLUE NOTE | 1963 | US THIRD STEREO PRESSING BN_8140 LP

[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]

Not a very first pressing - those have become ridiculously expensive over the last few years, but a a nice RVG mastered edition with Liberty labels (probably second or third, from 1966-67) and original laminated cover with letter pressed liner notes (which came in shrink; I usually don't remove the shrink wrap, but for those laminated Blue Note covers, I didn't want to have yet another layer of plastic (beneath the obligatory protective sleeve) obscuring this wonderful artwork).

Not sure what my favourite Blue Note Album from Joe Henderson is. As much as I like "Page One", it is not his best, in my humble opinion. I always felt that "Mode For Joe" and "Inner Urge" represented his strongest efforts. And even those don't quite reach the quality of "Power to the People" on Milestone.

32 minutes ago, cds23 said:

Not sure what my favourite Blue Note Album from Joe Henderson is. As much as I like "Page One", it is not his best, in my humble opinion. I always felt that "Mode For Joe" and "Inner Urge" represented his strongest efforts. And even those don't quite reach the quality of "Power to the People" on Milestone.

I agree with you there, although I'm not always sure whether I prefer the Milestones to those later Blue Notes. 

Currently listening to:

Dave Douglas Quintet - Meaning and Mystery (2006). 

a2583775835_16.jpg

Donny McCaslin, the tenor player on this, is good. I don't know anything else about him. I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has any opinions on his leader dates.

Donny McCaslin has played some good stuff on some Monday Michiru records. I find his solo work to be kinda same-y in terms of solo vocabulary and structure, but it's a not-unattractive same-y.

But put him on a Monday Michiru record with fixed confines, he's magnificent.

Oh yeah, he worked with Bowie at the end too, did great work there.

some jazz players are better in non-jazz contexts.

30 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Donny McCaslin has played some good stuff on some Monday Michiru records. I find his solo work to be kinda same-y in terms of solo vocabulary and structure, but it's a not-unattractive same-y.

But put him on a Monday Michiru record with fixed confines, he's magnificent.

Oh yeah, he worked with Bowie at the end too, did great work there.

some jazz players are better in non-jazz contexts.

That makes sense. I have only heard him on the one record, so I am on the not-unattractive stage still.

33 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

That makes sense. I have only heard him on the one record, so I am on the not-unattractive stage still.

There was a Tiny Desk Concert that I started a thread about a year or so ago....the sameyness was obvious, but the ban was just throwing himself ALL into it, so it worked for me. none of this post-modern "detatchemnt" or anything, that space was fully occupied and totally kinetic.

Again, his own records....yes, but not really over the long haul, imo. But in spots, hell yeah.

I really enjoyed re-listening to this Sal Nistico cd. . . 

Sal Nistico "Live at the Douglas Beach House '81"

MI0002088243.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Followed by this, which is a bit hit and miss for me, but when it hits it's so good it hurts.

Ran Blake/Jeanne Lee "Free Standards-Stockholm 1966" Fresh Sound cd

500x500.jpg

And now, fresh from the mailbox,
Gary Bartz and Nu Troop "Live in Bremen 1975" disc 1--which I am really enjoying.

ea6geh42uk8yc_600.jpg