Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I think I have this as a Prestige Cliff Brown Memorial Cd. The first half is in Sweden with Art Farmer, and the second half is the Atlantic City Band Tadd Dameron had in 1953.

All wonderful stuff! :tup

CHARLES TYLER ENSEMBLE | VOYAGE FROM JERICHO | AK-BA | 1974 | US FIRST STEREO PRESSING AK_1000 LP

charlestylervoyage1.jpg
[IMG]
charlestylervoyage2.jpg

The first album on Tyler‘s privately run AK-BA label (home to the legendary „Alabama Feeling“ by Arthur Doyle). A shockingly accessible Free Jazz record (often referred to as Free Bob), with the two irresistible modal tracks „Return To The East“ and „Surf Ravin“.

This is no overly cacophonous record. In fact, the reeds sound almost mixed slightly into the background compared to the rhythm section, which, in my opinion, is the real star on this record. Ronnie Boykins on bass and Steve Reid on drums must have had a great day, because their performance is stellar: Boykins has great technique, a „big“ and almost dry as bone sound, with a very unique approach to creating a groove. Reid sounds less funky here than on his own albums (Mustevic), but his beat is extremely forceful and there is that unconventional quality to his playing that’s hard to put into words as a non-musician, but it is immediately obvious once you listen to him. But to avoid any misunderstanding: Tyler, Cross and Blythe sound absolutely great and deserve highest praise. But I feel that this record benefits most from Boykins‘ and Reid‘s contribution.

What‘s nice about this cover – and quite uncommon for the 70‘s – is that they used a letter press for the back cover and also for the front (the cat.no.). Tyler's head was silk-screened. I tried to capture the indentations, which can be felt with a fingernail, with my camera. Just love the fact that so much effort and passion went into creating this excellent album.

Edited by cds23

817sYmUq2TL._SS500_.jpg

Very much "80s Jazz" -- a bit on the commercial side -- especially compared to what Sco' did previously with Enja and subsequently with BN.  But I don't hear it as a selling out; nothing that mercenary.  Rather, I think it's an honest attempt to reach a broader audience, back in the day when it was possible for a jazz musician to do that. ... And the music is pretty good, taken on its own terms, even if I like what he did before and after more.

"Damning with faint praise"? 

Yeah. O.K.  Maybe. ;) 

38 minutes ago, cds23 said:

CHARLES TYLER ENSEMBLE | VOYAGE FROM JERICHO | AK-BA | 1974 | US FIRST STEREO PRESSING AK_1000 LP

charlestylervoyage1.jpg
[IMG]
charlestylervoyage2.jpg

The first album on Tyler‘s privately run AK-BA label (home to the legendary „Alabama Feelings“ by Arthur Doyle). A shockingly accessible Free Jazz record (often referred to as Free Bob), with the two irresistible modal tracks „Return To The East“ and „Surf Ravin“.

This is no overly cacophonous record. In fact, the reeds sound almost mixed slightly into the background compared to the rhythm section, which, in my opinion, is the real star on this record. Ronnie Boykins on bass and Steve Reid on drums must have had a great day, because their performance is stellar: Boykins has great technique, a „big“ and almost dry as bone sound, with a very unique approach to creating a groove. Reid sounds less funky here than on his own albums (Mustevic), but his beat is extremely forceful and there is that unconventional quality to his playing that’s hard to put into words as a non-musician, but it is immediately obvious once you listen to him. But to avoid any misunderstanding: Tyler, Cross and Blythe sound absolutely great and deserve highest praise. But I feel that this record benefits most from Boykins‘ and Reid‘s contribution.

What‘s nice about this cover – and quite uncommon for the 70‘s – is that they used a letter press for the back cover and also for the front (the cat.no.). Tyler's head was silk-screened. I tried to capture the indentations, which can be felt with a fingernail, with my camera. Just love the fact that so much effort and passion went into creating this excellent album.

:tup