• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ralph Peterson presents the Fo'Tet (Blue Note, 1990)

R-6327770-1416577383-4585.jpeg.jpg

Surely one of the best mainstream releases of the 1990s, and sorely in need of a reissue.

Before that I listened to:

Lee Konitz in Rio (M.A, 1989)

R-8629536-1465489937-1968.jpeg-1 (1).jpg

Not a winner, but it has its moments. The mix of samba, cheap synths and rather overachieving alto doesn't really work for me.

41l5gAF06CL.jpg

Just because they were released on the cheapo LaserLight label, there's no reason to ignore the enjoyable performances found on these 5 volumes.  Wally Heider captured the band at just another gig on the road (McElroy's Ballroom in Portland, OR) and the band sounds fine.  No Johnny Hodges, but there are plenty of other stars (Clark Terry, Ray Nance, Juan Tizol, Paul Gonsalves) to pick up the slack, so one really doesn't miss him (much).

6 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Stupendous!  Absolutely CRAZY that it sat on the shelf so long.  

Soothsayer sat on the shelf as well, getting released in '79, one year ahead of Etc. and both being originally recorded in '65. I know the typical story is market saturation but I'm wondering if there were also some disagreements on publishing that influenced those marketing decisions...I'm sure someone here knows. 

4 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Soothsayer sat on the shelf as well, getting released in '79, one year ahead of Etc. and both being originally recorded in '65. I know the typical story is market saturation but I'm wondering if there were also some disagreements on publishing that influenced those marketing decisions...I'm sure someone here knows. 

Similarly, several of Hutcherson's recording from the 60s were issued in the late-70s and early-80s.  Most notably Medina and Spiral.  Two of his best records!

36 minutes ago, JSngry said:

1st Ballot Album Cver HOF, imo.

The LT-series covers...you either love e'm or else you hate 'em, and if you hate 'em, you are WRONG!!!! :g

34 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

It's a lot better than the rather generic reissue.

The LT concept for this one is perfect. If only they'd left off the border around the pic...

s-l500.jpg

Vocalist Jimmy Grissom is featured throughout this series.  I happen to like his singing style, but I can understand how others may not.  On "She Moved", he slips in a nice "I say what did I say this time baaaaaaa-bee!"   Also given a feature spot on this disc is one of the overlooked Ellingtonians, Rick Henderson.  He certainly brought more Charlie Parker than Johnny Hodges to the alto sax chair in the band.  I couldn't find the same version on YouTube, but here's Mr. Henderson in another performance of "All The Things You Are".

18 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Charlie Haden with Paul Bley and Paul Motian "Montreal Tapes" Verve cd

MI0002546182.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

So much space and quiet in this wonderful recording I had to turn off the fan. . . it's hot up here but this music makes it seem worth it.

Oh yeah.  That's my favorite disc from Haden's Montreal series. :tup 

NP:

R-11262867-1513340348-8717.jpeg.jpg

A gem!