• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, lots of good music on that set. That was the set that made me decide to diligently get all the music from the first decade of Blue Note. I think I managed that with effort in the 'nineties thanks especially to Mosaic and Blue Note Japan.

Edited by jazzbo

yeah, I had dabbled and picked up some pieces over the years, but just decided to go all in for a little bit, kinda get a fuller immersion experience. What it has done/is doing is reconfirming my foundational faith belief that Sidney Bechet was every bit the equal of Louis Armstrong except, you know, Bechet carried a knife and wasn't bashful about it. Luis sang a song about a guy named Mack, and he probably did too, at least for a while, but he knew enough to not let on to that as far as the general public could tell. Bechet just did not give a damn, did NOT give a damn. I love Sidney Bechet, now more than ever.

Past that, some familiar stuff, but even more unfamiliar, and it's pretty much all excellent or better. Kinda reminds me of what drew me to jazz in the first place, maybe not this exact music, but the spirit. Times change, and our future cannot be our past, but...as things change and we change with them, it's good to remember what they're changing from as well as recognize what they're changing to. This exuberant fuquitousness of lifejoy should never be lost from this music, or any music, really. That's not a good change, that one. Wear your condoms, wear your masks, it has to be done, but keep your mind & soul naked and free - and carry a  knife up in there with them. You're gonna need it!

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

yeah, I had dabbled and picked up some pieces over the years, but just decided to go all in for a little bit, kinda get a fuller immersion experience. What it has done/is doing is reconfirming my foundational faith belief that Sidney Bechet was every bit the equal of Louis Armstrong except, you know, Bechet carried a knife and wasn't bashful about it. Luis sang a song about a guy named Mack, and he probably did too, at least for a while, but he knew enough to not let on to that as far as the general public could tell. Bechet just did not give a damn, did NOT give a damn. I love Sidney Bechet, now more than ever.

Past that, some familiar stuff, but even more unfamiliar, and it's pretty much all excellent or better. Kinda reminds me of what drew me to jazz in the first place, maybe not this exact music, but the spirit. Times change, and our future cannot be our past, but...as things change and we change with them, it's good to remember what they're changing from as well as recognize what they're changing to. This exuberant fuquitousness of lifejoy should never be lost from this music, or any music, really. That's not a good change, that one. Wear your condoms, wear your masks, it has to be done, but keep your mind & soul naked and free - and carry a  knife up in there with them. You're gonna need it!

Definitely Bechet was a force at least til he became a god in France. What glued me in to the early Blue Note was Hodes and Hall--those two guys did work for Blue Note that was the best they did and was phenomenal. . . I kept hearing it and hearing it and listening to it.

43 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Definitely Bechet was a force at least til he became a god in France. What glued me in to the early Blue Note was Hodes and Hall--those two guys did work for Blue Note that was the best they did and was phenomenal. . . I kept hearing it and hearing it and listening to it.

What is catching my ear in the most surprising way is the guitarists. Not sure when Lion finally "gave in" to electric guitars (or why), but there's some playing here that is really catching my ear.

Cool. Early guitarists caught my ears many years ago so I definitely can understand that. Blue Note guitarists I listened to intently after I lucked into this set shortly after its release:

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Blue-Note-The-SP-Days-1939-1952/release/15154456

Jimmy Shirley especially knocked my socks off.

Edited by jazzbo

This is one of the earleir records I got, stupid-lucky find in a cutout bin when I was, like, 15-16, knew nothing except that it was "jazz". Turns out to be a buttload of personalities, that's what it is.

I also found out that a good check as to where I was with life/music at any point was to come back and look at that group picture. Not are are smiling, but some are. And the more you learn, the more you feel about why that is (either way). And I especially like Bud & Pee Wee in that regard.

An honest man who does not smile "just because" is indeed an honest man.

FVWgyjg.jpg

Archie Shepp The Way Ahead (Impulse!, MVCI 23080)
Listened to both the 1992 Japanese CD and the 2021 SHM-CD again (Frankenstein), and again preferred the earlier reissue. Sounds a bit more full bodied, or the SHM sounds somewhat 'thin' in comparison.