• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

But I had to drive in from Wisconsin.

Went to dinner one time with Dan, Ira, Red, Dexter and Roy.

Went to dinner at the Singapore on Rush St. (great ribs) with Barry Harris and Eddie Jefferson, waited there a good while for Dan, Harriet, and Ira Gitler to arrive; they were delayed by a gas main explosion. Not as illustrious as Chuck's lineup, but IIRC the conversation was freewheeling and choice.

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Mexican joint on Lincoln Ave, near the venue.

Close! Brenda fixed me a bowl of Green Chile Stew made with the pork shoulder she did yesterday.

Also, growing Anahiems in the garden this year, they seem to be coming in small batches, but we have 3, and a few more almost ready. A few weeks ago we had 4 and, again, Brenda made some kickass rellenos.

30 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Went to dinner at the Singapore on Rush St. (great ribs) with Barry Harris and Eddie Jefferson, waited there a good while for Dan, Harriet, and Ira Gitler to arrive; they were delayed by a gas main explosion.

I've had those after large portions really good frijoles.

It was ice of them to wait. Truly, a sign of good breeding!

5 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Hooray for Hermeto!  Happy 85th!

Will have to spin some of Pascoal's music today to celebrate the occasion. :g

It's noisy in the house now, because he's scraping on everything he can get his hands on! ;)

Happy Birthday to Hermeto Pascoal !!!   

NP:

R-1569160-1455442310-9888.jpeg.jpg

Hermeto Pascoal & Grupo - Só Não Toca Quem Não Quer (Only If You Don't Want It, You Can't Do It) (Som Da Gente / Intuition, 1987)

Earlier:

61yfDs3DpQL._SS600_.jpg

The Cannonball Adderley Quintet - Why Am I Treated So Bad! (Capitol, 1967)

Both of these are FIVE-STAR records, in this listener's humble opinion. :)

Edited by HutchFan

WENDELL HARRISON | AN EVENING WITH THE DEVIL | TRIBE RECORDS | 1972 | FIRST US STEREO PRESSING PRSD_2212 LP

[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]

"An Evening With The Devil" is the second album on the Tribe Record label from Detroit. I think it is worth mentioning that this album formerly represented the first side of "A Message From The Tribe", before Harrison and Phil Ranelin decided that it had to be a seperate album. Harrison recorded new tracks for "A Message From The Tribe" which now represent Side B on the version with the famous globe cover (while Ranelin's tracks, which on the initial release found on Side B, now went to Side A).

For an "Evening With The Devil", which now had to fill an entire 12" LP, Harrison recorded a new introduction to "Angry Young Man" and the short tracks titled "Consciousness" and "Rebirth" (the album now clocking in at a little over 27 minutes). This album, while immediately recognizable as a Tribe record, contains a few more Avantgarde elements and overall presents a little less accessible than other records from this label.

Unfortunately my copy has no Side B label, but the width of the tracks clearly indicate which side is which. Also, it was signed by Wendell Harrison on the front, so this copy is quite unique. While my copy is extremely clean, it is obvious that it was pressed on recycled vinyl - in fact, the only Tribe record (of the ones I own in their original form) that seems to have had at least some virgin vinyl in it is "Gemini II" by Marcus Belgrave. It is not ESP-Disk level noisy and the music plays loud and clear, but it is noticeable in in the run ins- and outs of course. I'm sure the latest reissue on Now-Again/VMP, mastered from the original mastertapes, will have much quieter surfaces, but it seems as if they won't ever sell those individually (I hope I'm wrong, though). I can't vouch for it, but the digital download on Bandcamp seem to have been remixed, at least the balancing sounds quite different from the original LP (we know for a fact that Phil Ranelin's "The Time Is Now!" and "Vibes From The Tribe" have been remixed from the multitracks).

I added an essay by Andy Thomas who puts some perspective on the creation of this album. I would also like to direct you to Bill Hart's very informative interview with Wendell Harrison on TheVinylPress.

Edited by cds23

3 hours ago, cds23 said:

WENDELL HARRISON | AN EVENING WITH THE DEVIL | TRIBE RECORDS | 1972 | FIRST US STEREO PRESSING PRSD_2212 LP

[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]

"An Evening With The Devil" is the second album on the Tribe Record label from Detroit. I think it is worth mentioning that this album formerly represented the first side of "A Message From The Tribe", before Harrison and Phil Ranelin decided that it had to be a seperate album. Harrison recorded new tracks for "A Message From The Tribe" which now represent Side B on the version with the famous globe cover (while Ranelin's tracks, which on the initial release found on Side B, now went to Side A).

For an "Evening With The Devil", which now had to fill an entire 12" LP, Harrison recorded a new introduction to "Angry Young Man" and the short tracks titled "Consciousness" and "Rebirth" (the album now clocking in at a little over 27 minutes). This album, while immediately recognizable as a Tribe record, contains a few more Avantgarde elements and overall presents a little less accessible than other records from this label.

Unfortunately my copy has no Side B label, but the width of the tracks clearly indicate which side is which. Also, it was signed by Wendell Harrison on the front, so this copy is quite unique. While my copy is extremely clean, it is obvious that it was pressed on recycled vinyl - in fact, the only Tribe record (of the ones I own in their original form) that seems to have had at least some virgin vinyl in it is "Gemini II" by Marcus Belgrave. It is not ESP-Disk level noisy and the music plays loud and clear, but it is noticeable in in the run ins- and outs of course. I'm sure the latest reissue on Now-Again/VMP, mastered from the original mastertapes, will have much quieter surfaces, but it seems as if they won't ever sell those individually (I hope I'm wrong, though). I can't vouch for it, but the digital download on Bandcamp seem to have been remixed, at least the balancing sounds quite different from the original LP (we know for a fact that Phil Ranelin's "The Time Is Now!" and "Vibes From The Tribe" have been remixed from the multitracks).

I added an essay by Andy Thomas who puts some perspective on the creation of this album. I would also like to direct you to Bill Hart's very informative interview with Wendell Harrison on TheVinylPress.

Great record. Not an easy one to find, side B label or not