Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, cds23 said:

WENDELL HARRISON | AN EVENING WITH THE DEVIL | TRIBE RECORDS | 1972 | FIRST US STEREO PRESSING PRSD_2212 LP

[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]

"An Evening With The Devil" is the second album on the Tribe Record label from Detroit. I think it is worth mentioning that this album formerly represented the first side of "A Message From The Tribe", before Harrison and Phil Ranelin decided that it had to be a seperate album. Harrison recorded new tracks for "A Message From The Tribe" which now represent Side B on the version with the famous globe cover (while Ranelin's tracks, which on the initial release found on Side B, now went to Side A).

For an "Evening With The Devil", which now had to fill an entire 12" LP, Harrison recorded a new introduction to "Angry Young Man" and the short tracks titled "Consciousness" and "Rebirth" (the album now clocking in at a little over 27 minutes). This album, while immediately recognizable as a Tribe record, contains a few more Avantgarde elements and overall presents a little less accessible than other records from this label.

Unfortunately my copy has no Side B label, but the width of the tracks clearly indicate which side is which. Also, it was signed by Wendell Harrison on the front, so this copy is quite unique. While my copy is extremely clean, it is obvious that it was pressed on recycled vinyl - in fact, the only Tribe record (of the ones I own in their original form) that seems to have had at least some virgin vinyl in it is "Gemini II" by Marcus Belgrave. It is not ESP-Disk level noisy and the music plays loud and clear, but it is noticeable in in the run ins- and outs of course. I'm sure the latest reissue on Now-Again/VMP, mastered from the original mastertapes, will have much quieter surfaces, but it seems as if they won't ever sell those individually (I hope I'm wrong, though). I can't vouch for it, but the digital download on Bandcamp seem to have been remixed, at least the balancing sounds quite different from the original LP (we know for a fact that Phil Ranelin's "The Time Is Now!" and "Vibes From The Tribe" have been remixed from the multitracks).

I added an essay by Andy Thomas who puts some perspective on the creation of this album. I would also like to direct you to Bill Hart's very informative interview with Wendell Harrison on TheVinylPress.

Very cool. Thanks for the link :tup

72333278.jpg

R-5134244-1596990208-4221.jpeg.jpg

R-9370402-1479399953-9529.jpeg.jpg

Playing some albums from the Mosaic Bee Hive set and went with these 3. So glad I picked up that box set. Some high level playing on these records. Really enjoyed Clifford on that Dr. Chicago set. 

After those, started playing Dave Holland Quintet's Prime Directive :tup

R-573655-1377285482-6285.jpeg.jpg

Some excellent grooves set by Holland, Kilson & Steve Nelson for Potter & Eubanks to play off of. 

FwfWaEZ.jpg

Théâtre de la Ville, 27 octobre 1983 by Workshop de Lyon & George Lewis

Jean Bolcato : double bass
Maurice Merle : alto sax, soprano sax
Christian Rollet : drums
Louis Sclavis : bass clarinet, soprano sax, alto sax
plus
George Lewis : trombone

Brixton Duets

by Mark Browne+Lol Coxhill

nNyTI8J.jpg

Mark Browne soprano and sopranino saxophones
Lol Coxhill soprano and sopranino saxophones

"I spoke with Lol for the first time in 1983. I had seen him as a shadowy figure, fully waterproofed outside Weatherhead’s Bookshop in Aylesbury some years earlier. We were both waiting for the rain to ease. I knew who he was, but being a shy schoolboy I wasn’t going to break the silence. In 1983, it was raining again as I walked up from Oval tube station to the White Horse in Brixton. I arrived early, Lol was already sat in the back room running through those familiar flurries of notes. Over the next few years we met at concerts but little was said. I had now progressed to being a shy mathematics student in London.

Early in 1991, I saw Lol in a telephone box in Aylesbury. This was a few yards from the Weatherhead’s Bookshop on Kingsbury. It wasn’t raining. We chatted about saxophones, saxophonists and arranged to exchange tapes. I sent off my tape of some soprano solos the next day and received a cassette of the album of Lol playing with Totsuzen Danball. Some months passed and I received a letter from Lol inviting me to play with him in London and offering to introduce me to the London Musicians Collective. The first time we played together was at an LMC concert at the Red Rose Club in June 1991. This was followed by an invite to play as part of Lol’s Bureau De Chance ensemble, again at the Red Rose and then the graveyard concert with Wake (www.discogs.com/Wake-15-With-Mark-Browne-3-Lol-Coxhill-Graveyard-Coitus/release/7598188). The Aylesbury concert followed in November 1991 (scatterarchive.bandcamp.com/album/st-marys-aylesbury-1991). I was pleased to play many concerts with Lol throughout the 1990s as a duo and with others.

Lol had played the 1999 LMC Festival at London’s Southbank and a special microphone had been used that captured not only a stereo horizontal axis, but also the vertical axis. Soon after we booked the LMC’s Sound Studio in Brixton, just down the road from the White Horse, for the evening of 9th July 1999. I had driven back to Aylesbury from Cornwall earlier in the day and travelled up to London by train. The day was very warm and the studio interior was like an oven. The studio engineer wanted us to use the new LMC microphone and we were to sit opposite each other. We talked about Merzbow. Masami Akita had shown an interest in playing with Lol. Lol provided a little rum, and then we prepared to play.

After reviewing the first test piece (1st track presented here) we recorded and left with a DAT copy of the evenings playing to review at our leisure. I transferred the DAT to CD and sent a copy to Lol. We both agreed that the sound wasn’t what we wanted, probably a result of the microphone and the project was consigned, quickly, to the archive.

May 2021 and I promise to send Liam Stefani one of the CD copies I made of the recording, more as a curiosity than a viable release. But I located the original DAT and sent that instead along with the other concert recordings I have. The transfer he achieved from the DAT is excellent and is the source that appears here. Apologies to LMC Sound for 20 years of unjust criticism." [Mark Browne]

5 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

72333278.jpg

R-5134244-1596990208-4221.jpeg.jpg

R-9370402-1479399953-9529.jpeg.jpg

Playing some albums from the Mosaic Bee Hive set and went with these 3. So glad I picked up that box set. Some high level playing on these records. Really enjoyed Clifford on that Dr. Chicago set.

Still have those on vinyl. I ran into my old friend Jim Neumann a few weeks ago, shopping at Dusty Groove.