• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, mjazzg said:

How is the Salah Ragab?

Well, I've always liked these tunes going back to the 70s, but the frustrating thing is all of these reissues and such.
I have these recordings that've been released every decade going back to the 70s and I'm always wondering why
they don't just do some kind of multiple disc/vinyl set with all of the tunes. This latest set doesn't have Calling You
and the Farewell Theme (11 minutes!).

I'm not even asking for the previously unreleased stuff to be added (tho that would be great) - 
just put all of the Egypt Strut, the Sono Cairo, and the Arkestra tracks together in one place.

THE SPONTANEOUS MUSIC ENSEMBLE | KARYŌBIN ARE THE IMAGINARY BIRDS SAID TO LIVE IN PARADISE | ISLAND RECORDS_HEXAGRAM | UK FIRST STEREO PRESSING ILPS_9079_60 LP

[IMG]
[IMG]

My first foray into Free Improvised (Jazz) Music. I knew almost all of the players before but mostly from collaborations with german musicians (Peter Brötzmann, Manfred Schoof). The music is highly inspirational and though completely improvised, doesn't need that much listening to get into. I can't get enough of Dennis Bailey's guitar and John Steven's cymbal work, the sounds they create are out of this world yet still make "sense" in their microcosm.

This album is finally available on CD again; the first digital reissue from the UK (from what I've read) didn't sound so good and was prohibitively expensive. The latest CD edition was remastered from the original master tapes and should sound better than any other version. This is a first UK pressing LP and the sound is very nice and detailed; my guess is it's unplayed or maybe once or twice at best. My favourite record dealer had it for some time but I had to prioritize other records before finally taking the plunge. Anyway, I am extremely glad to add this to my collection.

Edited by cds23

Well, these deaths hit hard. So, I'm gonna spend some time with them today.

Frederic Rzewski (just saw him in 2017 with Musica Elettronica Viva and solo)

and

Peter Zinovieff (influential engineer: EMS studios introducing the VCS3 synthesizer to lots of major rock bands).

When I saw these, it showed that they died on the same day - today -
but seconds later it showed Zinovieff dying three days ago.

Both people very important to their professions.

Edited by rostasi

7 minutes ago, rostasi said:

Well, these deaths hit hard. So, I'm gonna spend some time with them today.

Frederic Rzewski (just saw him in 2017 with Musica Elettronica Viva and solo)

and

Peter Zinovieff (influential engineer: EMS studios introducing the VCS3 synthesizer to lots of major rock bands).

When I saw these, it showed that they died on the same day - today -
but seconds later it showed Zinovieff dying three days ago.

Both people very important to their professions.

Well said

10 hours ago, cds23 said:

THE SPONTANEOUS MUSIC ENSEMBLE | KARYŌBIN ARE THE IMAGINARY BIRDS SAID TO LIVE IN PARADISE | ISLAND RECORDS_HEXAGRAM | UK FIRST STEREO PRESSING ILPS_9079_60 LP

[IMG]
[IMG]

My first foray into Free Improvised (Jazz) Music. I knew almost all of the players before but mostly from collaborations with german musicians (Peter Brötzmann, Manfred Schoof). The music is highly inspirational and though completely improvised, doesn't need that much listening to get into. I can't get enough of Dennis Bailey's guitar and John Steven's cymbal work, the sounds they create are out of this world yet still make "sense" in their microcosm.

This album is finally available on CD again; the first digital reissue from the UK (from what I've read) didn't sound so good and was prohibitively expensive. The latest CD edition was remastered from the original master tapes and should sound better than any other version. This is a first UK pressing LP and the sound is very nice and detailed; my guess is it's unplayed or maybe once or twice at best. My favourite record dealer had it for some time but I had to prioritize other records before finally taking the plunge. Anyway, I am extremely glad to add this to my collection.

One day I will own this. 

Two new arrivals. . . . 

Sun Ra "Languidity" 2 cd reissue. I listened to the first disc. Excellent mastering.

lanquidity-5278840d143b7.jpg

Bill Evans "On a Friday Evening" cd release.

a888072158634.jpg

Listened to this twice while going to and from my Dad's in the car. Sound is okay, not fantastic, and to me it seemed less involving than some of the more recent Evans trio releases, Evans in particular seemed to be less "into it" . . . . I'll listen again soon on the main system and see if with more focus and better playback that impression changes.

Edited by jazzbo