• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hermeto Pascoal "Hermeto" Muse LP

R-930080-1477207020-7342.jpeg.jpg

My listening companion Fiona the dachshund is letting me know it's too hot to listen up here but I just have to play this one when I pulled it out of the shelf today . . . a record that always rewards a re-listen.

TED CURSON & CO | ODE TO BOOKER ERVIN | EMI_COLUMBIA | 1970 | FINNISH FIRST WHITE LABEL TEST PRESSING 5E 062_34201 LP

[IMG] 
[IMG] 

If I'm not mistaken, this should be the first recording led by Ted Curson which makes use of an electric piano. The result is more accessible than his two albums released Fontana, the second of which ("Urge", with Booker Ervin) was actually quite heavy and even more "out there" than his first Fontana outing "Tears for Dolphy". So this is the second album by Curson moaning the untimely death of a fellow musician he (obviously) cared a lot for. A very nice album with the strongest tracks coming from Penti Hiettanen. My copy is a test pressing with signatures of all band members on the inner sleeve. No Cover, but hey, who would complain finding this rare bird knowing that even regular pressings are scarce?

[IMG] 
[IMG]

Edited by cds23

R-3997744-1421020744-3314.jpeg.jpg

Cranshaw, Roker & Tyner fill out the quartet on the original album. This CD reissue I have includes 2 bonus tracks with Ray Lucas on drums, adding Landrum on percussion, Spaulding on alto, Garnett Brown on trombone and Blue Mitchell on trumpet. Those added songs are from over a year after the original album was recorded. This main album though come across as super professional. These guys would have made a helluva touring band. 

Ron Miles - I Am A Man (Yellowbird, 2017).

R-11033555-1513386300-1027.jpeg.jpg

First listen. I am surprised at how much I am enjoying this one. It's something to do with the mix of Ron Miles' cornet with Brian Blade's, Jason Moran's and Bill Frisell's quite different sensibilities, even though those three are not necessarily normally a "pull" for me.

Edited by Rabshakeh

5 minutes ago, bresna said:

Terrible series name and lousy covers but often great music. I avoided many of these because of those cheesy covers and a few odd LP combinations. I'm regretting that now.

I pretty much ignored them when they came out too.  Definitely a bad decision in retrospect. 

Over the last few years, I've slowly collected many of them.  Whenever I come across one at a reasonable price, I snatch it up.

I got lucky about a month ago.  I came across three CDs from the series -- none of which I owned -- at a shop for just $2.99 each!  :) 

8 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Ron Miles - I Am A Man (Yellowbird, 2017).

R-11033555-1513386300-1027.jpeg.jpg

First listen. I am surprised at how much I am enjoying this one. It's something to do with the mix of Ron Miles' cornet with Brian Blade's, Jason Moran's and Bill Frisell's quite different sensibilities, even though those three are not necessarily normally a "pull" for me.

I reacted in a similar way. If you haven't, check out "Rainbow Sign."

25 minutes ago, bresna said:

Terrible series name and lousy covers but often great music. I avoided many of these because of those cheesy covers and a few odd LP combinations. I'm regretting that now.

Yeah, but that series introduced a lot of clubgoers in America in the 90s to that music.
That, and BGP too! There was a time then when I tried to get as much of that as possible!

Edited by rostasi

Arrived in the mail, the expanded 50th Anniversary Edition of this Grateful Dead classic:

front.jpg

I've held off listening to this one for some time knowing an anniversary edition was imminent.  Disc 1, the original album, sure sounds wonderful. I totally dig the Plangent Process and what it does.

R-5274514-1525054683-6182.jpeg.jpg

R-10001657-1489943814-3652.jpeg.jpg

Deep.

No doubt a total projection, but the way they play this stuff, the way they play the interior harmonies so that it doesn't just go from point A to point B, it hits all the sub-points inside...it reminds me of early Ornette, it's got that kind of freedom about going places and getting there any damn way he (Brahms) wanted to.

So...people do this, don't they, no matter how or from where, people eventually figure out that there's more than one way to get there, from Point A to Point B.