Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 06/07/2021 at 0:32 PM, Gheorghe said:

For me it was a big, big disappointment that he doesn´t play himself on it. I don´t really know the reasons, the only thing I know is that it was toward the end of his live, and in his last years he was very very sick and had a terminal cancer. So maybe it was like Mingus´ on his last record, where he didn´t play bass because he became ill....

I think that’s correct. If I remember correctly he was in and out of hospital during that period and had married the (English born) nurse who had looked after him in the hospital. I remember hearing her story on a BBC Radio interview talking about Tadd many decades ago.

R-10122272-1492082332-7109.jpeg.jpg

This CD has its share of enjoyable musical moments, but perhaps that's not surprising given the top notch musicians involved --

R-10122272-1577553846-5691.jpeg.jpg

The only drawback for me, is that as you can see, they chose to mix up the various groups/sessions --

R-10122272-1577553834-7974.jpeg.jpg

so that the CD begins with a track by group (c) before moving onto two tracks by group (a) and then onto a track by group (d), etc.  I dislike that.

81w3cW35WrL._SX522_.jpg

I am a fan of the NYC5 since the '60s. I have lps, cds, cdr burns of all the material and was curious about the transfers in this cheap set.  After an hour I discovered this is NOT the complete recordings of the band. I first checked out the Montmartre material on disc 2. The first track from vol. 1 (Cisum) has been faded 2 minutes before the end and the last track from vol. 2 is missing completely (Trio - over 15 minutes).

At that point I stopped listening and will try again tomorrow.

10 minutes ago, JSngry said:

R-2394792-1476013433-2174.jpeg.jpg

Nope. Started out thinking, welllllll...maybe? But nope.

With a few different people in place (not the least of whom would have been Creed Taylor at this point in his career), maybe.

But nope.

1979 recording, well beyond the freshness date for CTI.  By the mid-late 70's it was turning wrong.

The record doesn't even sound good, RVG notwithstanding And Joe Farrell...licks, nothing more than licks. But there's a few good tunes, and Charlie Palmieri is always a plus.

I just wonder what happened to Creed Taylor's ears (and ear) for everything to turn out so...not good on the sonics and inconsistent (at best) on the music..