JSngry

Gonzalo Rubalcado "Imagine: Gonzalo Rubalcado in the USA" Blue Note cd

R-2416454-1313878819.jpeg.jpg

Bass – Charlie Haden 
Drums – Jack DeJohnette, Julio Barreto 
Electric Bass – Felipe Cabrera  
Piano, Producer – Gonzalo Rubalcaba
Trumpet – Reynaldo Melian 

Recorded live at Lincoln Center's Alice Tully Hall, New York City on May 14, 1993 as part of the Jazz At Lincoln Center Series,
and recorded at Capitol Studios, Hollywood, CA with an invited audience on June 23, 1994, and at at Wadswroth Hall, UCLA, Westwood, CA on June 24, 1994

• Replies 79.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, JSngry said:

R-4110224-1358300775-3258.jpeg.jpg

Realized that I'm only conversant with this group's Atlantic & Apple work, so...setting aside a little time for remedial history.

This is essentially a book-end type of set for these guys right? Early 50s Prestige to early/mid 80s Pablo. Well, maybe the Savoy sides came before the Prestige? Anyway, I enjoy the Echoes album but don't have any of the Prestige albums. 

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

This is essentially a book-end type of set for these guys right? Early 50s Prestige to early/mid 80s Pablo. Well, maybe the Savoy sides came before the Prestige? Anyway, I enjoy the Echoes album but don't have any of the Prestige albums. 

A bookend set, yes.

I'm finding that I might prefer that late 60s-early 70s Apple/Atlantic run best of all, like when John Lewis just started going full on "abstract" with the textures of him and Connie Kay, but...the Prestige sides have their charm (and irritation) was well. That's as far as I've gotten, but I'm just gonna let it all marinate for a few days.

Still...Space...one of the best jazz records, period.

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Is this his solo performance from Montreux ? This was very much discussed over here when it came out. It got radio play also.

I saw Ray Bryant shortly after this, but with a quintet if I remember right. Very nice, very articulate....

Yes it is the performance that was issued on a Pablo CD. I never saw him live, so this is a very welome DVD.

Anthony Braxton - For Four Orchestras (Arista, 1978)

R-1945094-1550636761-2889.jpeg.jpg

First time I've sat down to listen to it. I'm actually quite enjoying it, but my main thought is that it doesn't really seem to need all four orchestras. Perhaps it's different in quadrophonic mix, but there doesn't seem to be anything here that you couldn't do with one.

Edited by Rabshakeh

49 minutes ago, JSngry said:

A bookend set, yes.

I'm finding that I might prefer that late 60s-early 70s Apple/Atlantic run best of all, like when John Lewis just started going full on "abstract" with the textures of him and Connie Kay, but...the Prestige sides have their charm (and irritation) was well. That's as far as I've gotten, but I'm just gonna let it all marinate for a few days.

Still...Space...one of the best jazz records, period.

I'll have to check that out. I have only passing familiarity with their Atlantic albums and haven't heard any on Apple. 

6 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

Les Filles de Illighadad at Pioneer Works (Sahel Sounds)Image result for Les Filles de illighadad at pioneer works

I've got that lined up too

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

I'll have to check that out. I have only passing familiarity with their Atlantic albums and haven't heard any on Apple. 

Both the Apples are well worth a listen. I was turned on to them by JSngrey's enthusiasm a while back

4 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Anthony Braxton - For Four Orchestras (Arista, 1978)

R-1945094-1550636761-2889.jpeg.jpg

First time I've sat down to listen to it. I'm actually quite enjoying it, but my main thought is that it doesn't really seem to need all four orchestras. Perhaps it's different in quadrophonic mix, but there doesn't seem to be anything here that you couldn't do with one.

I received a promo copy of the box when issued. Enclosed was a hand written note from Cuscuna explaining the discs were pressed in "changer order" and the labels were all wrong.

"Record One is 1 / 4 not 1 / 2

Record Two is 2 / 5 not 3 / 4

Record Three is 3 / 6 not 5 / 6"

They were going to call them all back and repress but Braxton said he liked the new sequence and they let it go.

I haven't compared it with the Mosaic to see which order they used.