Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, bresna said:

So the "original master tape" is a needle drop? Doesn't that imply that the "original" master tape is in fact lost? :)

What? The album was recorded for and released on Mingus' private label back in the 1960s. For many years, this was probably the most obscure Mingus recording. Much later, Sue Mingus reissued it on LP (I believe with the Jazz Record Center), dubbed from a clean original LP, as the concert tape could not be found. The Sunnyside release is the CD version of that reissue.

1 hour ago, kh1958 said:

What? The album was recorded for and released on Mingus' private label back in the 1960s. For many years, this was probably the most obscure Mingus recording. Much later, Sue Mingus reissued it on LP (I believe with the Jazz Record Center), dubbed from a clean original LP, as the concert tape could not be found. The Sunnyside release is the CD version of that reissue.

And what was the deal with the bonus 45 that was offered along with the reissued mail order LP? Late 70s, early 80s. I saw the ad more than once, but...no money for that then   Has that 45 ever been included in the CD?

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

And what was the deal with the bonus 45 that was offered along with the reissued mail order LP? Late 70s, early 80s. I saw the ad more than once, but...no money for that then   Has that 45 ever been included in the CD?

I do have the LP reissue. It included an EP (33 and 1/3) which has the Monterey Jazz Festival version of They Trespass the Land of the Sacred Sioux, in two parts. This is the only release of this song, to my knowledge.

In addition, the anthology, Monterey Jazz Festival, 40 Legendary Years, has another song from the Monterey performance: Don't Let It Happen Here.

The online Mingus discography says: 

Tracks recorded at the Monterey festival (owned by VOA) are:

1. The Arts Of Tatum And Freddie Webster
  2. Don't Let It Happen Here (Malpaso 9362-46703-2)
  3. They Trespass The Land Of The Sacred Sioux (East Coasting EP ECEP-1)
  4. When The Saints Go Marchin' In

First this morning (early start here):

R-2010030-1379619999-3520.jpeg.jpg

Regardless what you think of Abercrombie; Surman, Gress & DeJohnette bring it on this one. Great album. 

Then: 

R-3436020-1609407524-5881.jpeg.jpg

The Bee Hive box proving to be a great ROI because this album is fantastic. 

And now: 

R-1151323-1474227568-2672.jpeg.jpg

Sipping coffee in prep for a PT appt in a little while which will include some dry needling. Take care of your back, folks.  :tup