So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

13 hours ago, kh1958 said:

What? The album was recorded for and released on Mingus' private label back in the 1960s. For many years, this was probably the most obscure Mingus recording. Much later, Sue Mingus reissued it on LP (I believe with the Jazz Record Center), dubbed from a clean original LP, as the concert tape could not be found. The Sunnyside release is the CD version of that reissue.

You're confirming what I said - the master tape is clearly lost.

My point is that the CD cover clearly states "direct from the original master tapes" when it is obviously not. The master tape is lost. A needle drop recording of an old LP is not a master tape.

R-16062427-1602772585-2996.jpeg.jpg

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, bresna said:

You're confirming what I said - the master tape is clearly lost.

My point is that the CD cover clearly states "direct from the original master tapes" when it is obviously not. The master tape is lost. A needle drop recording of an old LP is not a master tape.

R-16062427-1602772585-2996.jpeg.jpg

Image result for Mingus at UCLA sunnysideWe are talking about this CD, not the one above:

27 minutes ago, bresna said:

Ahh - I saw the CD cover and missed the little question at the end. That's what happens when you can only quote a post that is quoting another post and not include both of them. :)

Didn’t the master tapes for that one go missing back in the early 1970s due to negligence? - or maybe it was even earlier around the time of Mingus’ eviction. There’s a thread somewhere on this site telling the full story and I recall board member Brownie mentioning that he got a copy of the original LPs by mail from Mingus himself, complete with letter !

Edited by sidewinder

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Didn’t the master tapes for that one go missing back in the early 1970s due to negligence? - or maybe it was even earlier around the time of Mingus’ eviction. There’s a thread somewhere on this site telling the full story and I recall board member Brownie mentioning that he got a copy of the original LPs by mail from Mingus himself, complete with letter !

Yes, I believe the story was the tapes (and other unrelated tapes) were stored with Capitol records and someone there ordered their destruction without contacting the owners, including Mr. Mingus.

5 hours ago, felser said:

James Moody, Lewis Nash, Todd Coolman, Kenny Barron - Moody 4a - Amazon.com  Music

I love James Moody and must admit, that my first hearing experience was from the legendary "Miles Davis-Tadd Dameron" in Paris 1949, which came out in 1977. 

I had not heard about Moody before and was astonished how modern he sounds, and I had heard Dave Liebman live on several occasions before and he was then my favourite Saxophonist, and I was astonished that some "scream" in Moody´s solos almost reminded me of Liebman and other post Coltrane saxophonists.....

Later I saw Moody on several occasions, very often with Dizzy. 

One fantastic live concert was 1999 at the Viennese Jazzland, my wife and me were in the first row. 

During that time, it was the most normal thing that you smoke in a jazz club. And when Moody was scheduled, we were told NOT to smoke. 

Art Farmer was there and had a long talk with Moody during intermission. It was the last time I saw him, he died shortly after that. 

After the concert, Moody shook my wife´s and my hands and said "Thank you for not smoking" and we said "WE MUST THANK YOU, it was WONDERFUL".

One year later, my wife and me were in Miami and Moody was in town. I think it was "Van Dyke´s" on Lincoln Road. Before the concert startet, we were allready there and here comes James Moody with his bags and spotted us, came to our table, shook our hands and said "You were in Vienna last year. Art Farmer was there" Yes, we said, it´s so sad he died. 

But isn´t that incredible ? Mr Moody, who played hunderts of gigs for millions of people, recongnized us two a year later on an other continent....... 

On 14.7.2021 at 11:17 PM, Jim Duckworth said:

Charles Mingus – Music Written For Monterey 1965, Not Heard… Played In Its  Entirety AT UCLA, September 25, 1965 (2007, CD) - Discogs

Of course I have this. But for me it  is not as fine as Monterey 1964, or the also from 1965 "My Favourite Quintet". Of course there are great moments, but it´s even more chaotic than "Town Hall 1962". And on some pieces Mingus put down his bass and played piano. And otherwise, the wonderful piano of Jakie Byard is missing. And some of it sounds quite abstract like "The Art of Tatum and Freddie Webster"...... sounds a bit strange....