Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I love James Moody and must admit, that my first hearing experience was from the legendary "Miles Davis-Tadd Dameron" in Paris 1949, which came out in 1977. 

I had not heard about Moody before and was astonished how modern he sounds, and I had heard Dave Liebman live on several occasions before and he was then my favourite Saxophonist, and I was astonished that some "scream" in Moody´s solos almost reminded me of Liebman and other post Coltrane saxophonists.....

Later I saw Moody on several occasions, very often with Dizzy. 

One fantastic live concert was 1999 at the Viennese Jazzland, my wife and me were in the first row. 

During that time, it was the most normal thing that you smoke in a jazz club. And when Moody was scheduled, we were told NOT to smoke. 

Art Farmer was there and had a long talk with Moody during intermission. It was the last time I saw him, he died shortly after that. 

After the concert, Moody shook my wife´s and my hands and said "Thank you for not smoking" and we said "WE MUST THANK YOU, it was WONDERFUL".

One year later, my wife and me were in Miami and Moody was in town. I think it was "Van Dyke´s" on Lincoln Road. Before the concert startet, we were allready there and here comes James Moody with his bags and spotted us, came to our table, shook our hands and said "You were in Vienna last year. Art Farmer was there" Yes, we said, it´s so sad he died. 

But isn´t that incredible ? Mr Moody, who played hunderts of gigs for millions of people, recongnized us two a year later on an other continent....... 

Thanks so much for sharing this great story!

Just recently became aware of this Storyville box (3 cds, 1 dvd). I had the 2 quartet discs but not the one with Lockjaw. The dvd has 45+ minutes of Griff at the Vanguard and 16 minutes of Jaws in Copenhagen. I got the box for $14 on Amazon last week and see it is up to $19 today.

71M-uROsvxL._SX522_.jpg

71uVcpFi6uL._SX522_.jpg

The dvd listing misses a 17 minute version of What is this Thing Called Love by Griffin.