So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

"Black Saint" is a long time member, but post rarely .... I bought our Mystic Sounds sets at the Virgin Megastore Champs-Élysées Paris in the late 80`s (btw which was flooded with japanese import CD`s at that time) .... those were the days ....

I mean, 3 Viennese fans here and as it seems, the same musical tastes, we might meet together some time....

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This one again. It is such an interesting release.

Gonzalo Rubalcado "Avatar" Blue Note cd

MI0001938235.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Bass – Matt Brewer
Drums – Marcus Gilmore
Piano, Producer – Gonzalo Rubalcaba
Saxophone – Yosvany Terry
Trumpet, Flugelhorn – Michael Rodriguez

2 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

R-15333222-1589885034-3781.jpeg.jpg

Mousey Alexander on drums. Wow!

Anyone know much about him? This is my first time hearing him play and he's bringing it 100%. 

A master drummer! I first encountered him on Condon outfits and discovered any session he is on he anchors it proper.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mousey_Alexander

4 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

A master drummer! I first encountered him on Condon outfits and discovered any session he is on he anchors it proper.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mousey_Alexander

Scrolling through his credits on discogs now and making a list...

Your comment got me excited about him possibly being on the Mosaic Condon Commodore/Decca set (which I have) but negative...

R-373273-1602016201-8329.jpeg.jpg

Too bad that Ra and The Moonglows never(?) crossed paths. Harvey Fuqua could shape a vocal group...

As it is, it's hard to avoid the coding on so much of this stuff. Makes for some fun listening, especially when carried over to traditional groups, which bring us/me back to The Moonglows...

Here's where the midnight space shuttle lands:

and here's the secret story of the real life:

Again, too bad they never(?) worked together.

Chet Baker "Strollin'" Enja/Solid Records cd

MI0000491954.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Double Bass – Jean-Louis Rassinfosse
Guitar – Philip Catherine
Trumpet – Chet Baker

Recorded live at the 7th Jazz Festival Münster, West Germany, June 1985.

Great sound on this reissue. . . and a nice intimate live recording with long tracks.

I'm unsure. he can play, hasn't shed his influences yet.  Trying a bit too hard perhaps.  All of which is no surprise given he's 23, who appears fully formed after all (cue deluge of suggestions...). It's on Tidal and probably other streaming sites. There's a subsequent album that I'll try as I think he might be someone to watch.

Meanwhile, I think this is great (thanks FJB). Another new name to me, Chicago again I think. Again influences are very apparent but in a more mature way. 

a0484862646_16.jpg

Edited by mjazzg

61kL9nOfnTS._SY555_.jpg

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

R-13686096-1558997118-9548.jpeg.jpg

my first exposure to Collier. Anyone know much about him, seems to be very much rooted in Chicago and its scene

I read a bit about Collier when I was in Chicago.  He was playing at the Jazz Showcase in support of a new album, but I didn't get a chance to see/hear him.  I did listen to some of the new record (on Bandcamp).  Pretty good. ...As you suggest, mjazzg, I hear lots of not-quite-fully-digested late Coltrane and Pharoah in his sound. But he's young. ...Like lots of other young players, he definitely vibing on the early-70s "spiritual jazz" thing that's come back around.

Somebody to keep an eye on. 

Edited by HutchFan

15 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

iu-5.jpeg

One of my favourites from Horace Parlan. It came out the same time I saw him live. Me and my then girlfried set in the front row and at some point Horace Parlan spotted us and said with a sly grin "the next tune is "Like Someone in Love" .....

Very great trio here, I saw Jesper Lundgard first with the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Bigband.....
Danny Richmond of course many many times, he is one of my favourites.
I love that trio, since it´s not like other trios, it really works together and you can HEAR the drummer, which is most important for me. 

When I saw Horace Parlan, his bassist was Isla Eckinger, another very very fine european bassist from Elvetia, and maybe Fritz Ozmec on drums....